Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2024 SDHSAA Wrestling Advisory Meeting Minutes

Wrestling Advisory Committee Meeting – Feb. 26

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Chalk you always share this for us, thanks for doing that. Do you know what the significance of "Other Items voted on but are not proposal" is? There is a state tourney schedule in that section and I was curious.

I am guessing tweaks, not full fledge changes, but since I don't think these meetings are on YouTube or not available on audio I don't know for sure, so not able to hear the conversation. I was thinking I listened to one a couple years ago, maybe I just missed it.

The duals were already happening/schedule for next year, although someone brought up on the SDHSAA call Wednesday "what other sport do we award 2 separate team trophies and individual places at two different state events". Now, those tweaks make the weigh in count, the decent plan is active, and the matches count for seeding Regions and State, which conversely this year it was like the event did not happen. The Duals will stay on the same date. The Duals will need to count for weigh-ins and your wrestlers decent plan (4-3). The record will count towards your season record that will go towards Region and State Seeding (5-2). That could change how teams wrestle that event (seeding criteria, risk of injury the week before regions, etc.), but with low attendance about 650 per location (Brookings A and Watertown B) the future might be or is, in jeopardy. Cost of the facility, refs, awards, travel, hotels, meals, and all that comes with it, they may have lost money on this or not really made much at all. Remember, when the duals came back they bumped the Individual ticket by $10 each to cover the duals (that did not come out of the individual all session ticket price this year). They charged $15/$10 this year at the duals stand alone. I was also under the impression the duals were supposed to be opposite of the state individual tournament site (east vs. west), but that did not happen this year either.

It looks like the schedule was slightly tweaked (half hour or hour+ or so) for a few of the days. I thought I heard they did not want kids to get beat out on the first day because they might do a parade of athletes on Friday, but that didn't happen either. You can argue many ways about 2 vs. 3 days, but most of us are accustomed all year to the larger tournaments being two days, kids, refs, parents etc., but it does not make it more cost effective for the schools or the parents. I am fine either way, but if you lose the first day, it does not make any sense to me to wait another day full day to wrestle. Two rounds the first day at least on both sides make more sense, but that is just my opinion. Whatever it is, it is.

In closing I think this meeting gets rushed and not enough is discussed, so I don't know why they don't change their regular meeting that normally happens the same week so they can get immediate feedback. I think they all meet at the state tournament, but they can't get into the weeds much with things, since they are kind of pressed for time there too. Someone should be taking notes all year, compile them, share them with the coaches before state, figure out a good time with enough time to discuss or have a zoom call or just figure out some way to really cover some ground. Wrestling coaches are the epitome of having enough time during the season. They don't really have time and once they sit back and really think about things, the advisory committee was weeks ago. Someone should fix that.

Bigtown, Fat125 and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
BigtownFat125mjax26MajorinterestingSkipWrestlerKCG97

Here are the upcoming proposals and discussion items for the AD conference March 25-27.

Page 10. https://www.sdhsaa.com/Advisory/AthDirProposals.pdf

WRESTLING
Proposal #1: Weight Classes –
The Advisory’s recommendation is to go to 235 the NFHS weight class from 250. Proposed to utilize the NFHS 12 Girls weight class model for girls.

12 Classes – 100,107, 114, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 185 & 235
_____YES _____NO
Proposal #2: Girls Regionals: It was moved by Donovan, 2nd by Leonard, on Thursday of NFHS Week 33, have 4 Girls Regionals 1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A,3B, 4A/4B at sites determined by the region
_____YES _____NO

Discussion Items:
1. Schools need to continue to move toward proper fitting singlet and under garments.
2. During weigh-ins Athletes must be wearing a school issues singlet and must present with the straps up when doing skin checks and weigh-ins. The SDHSAA will add to the handbook.
3. Comp Passes at State were discussed and we will be looking at how they are distributed. Especially for the managers/statisticians. Currently we give 4 per team per gender. We are looking at limiting the number by the number of participants you have in the tournament. This will be brought back to the advisory to look at for a
recommendation in the future.
4. The validity of keeping the Duals. See 2nd paragraph above for more context. Next year's duals do not have locations listed yet. 
5. Discussion on Forfeits from Team duals in Girls and how that will look Dual Team Members.
6. Schools need to have their rosters set or will receive a fine in order to have members left off added. A reminder will be sent to schools of the date in which the rosters will need to be on the Bound website.
7. The HOF Awards that are presented at the State Individual Tournament will continue to be right before Championship Matches.
8. Discussion on Host sites for State Wrestling – Rapid City/Sioux Falls. The combined tournament is scheduled/contracted for Rapid City in 2025 and Sioux Falls for 2026. I assume the site selection committee will discuss after 2026 what the rotation would be. If they decide to trade state track to Sioux Falls for state combined wrestling in Rapid City it would likely happen after 2026, unless something changes. State track is already listed to be in SF in 2024, 2025, and 2026, kind of feels like part of that has already happened. 

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar