Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2024 SDWCA State Youth Tournament

Attached is the flyer for the 2024 SDWCA State Youth Tournament. For questions please refer to the flyer, I may not see them on here. Thank you.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Thank you to everyone for you patience and "making it work attitude" for this weekend. It was the largest SD Youth state tournament in history from a fan perspective and athletes. We faced some challenges we've not had in the past and overcame what we could. We couldn't do it with all the volunteers, refs, support, and the SD wrestling community. 1,726 wrestlers and 3,675 matches. So many to thank. Congrats to all the kids who laced them up.

Attached are the brackets.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

All in all it was a good weekend. Rapid does a great job with it. The venue is definitely much more accommodating for fans and athletes than the Premier Center. It seems like the biggest issue every year is the wait at the concession stands. I thought the refs were great. They did an awesome job on Sunday especially. Anyone who was there knows what I mean. It’s just to bad we are so limited on towns and venues that are big enough to handle the amount of people. I do think that if the tournament was live-streamed that would help alleviate some of the capacity issues.

IMO why RC has not livestreamed in a few state tournaments. There are people, even on the committee that would like it, and I am not opposed to it, but read below and tell me how you feel after reading it. Keep in mind the agenda for the state tournament is about 32 pages before we open the doors, that starts in September/October prior to what takes place in March, because many are busy with High School wrestling November through the end of February.

1. What happened at a prior state tournament when people were overheard talking at or by a table. That made the news...
  2. Running that off a building's wi-fi would be great (likely sketchy), but the requirement of needing a hardline from Midco or Blue Peak in short order is expensive for them to put it in. Just for that event.
  3. Shipping in 16 cameras Fed Ex in those cases is about $1,200+ in/out. If you damage one, your in bad shape, insuring them is more costly. At $10 per, that is 120 subscriptions, just to ship them in and out and covers nothing else. That's break even and you have not turned them on yet.
  4. Track Wrestling used to provide the camera's and they were used enough by sites who did not have them, they could make money by turning them. But there is a limited supply around now since Flo took over, if you can find them at all. Set up and tear down labor and all the cat 5 cable to set up/tear down.
  5. We normally use "skinny" tables mat side. More stuff on the tables is not good.
  6. Staffing 16 camera's to make sure they are all running, centered etc. Someone else there just doing that.
  7. If we turn the sound down, people that paid just call and complain they want to hear the whistle and want their money back because they can't hear. See #1 why we want the sound down or mic's off. You have to provide a phone number for people to call for trouble, believe me, no one wants to man that phone all day. A good share of those calls operator error.
  8. Flo recently changed the splits, see #5 to add to it.
  9. Not as many people buy it as you would think. This is based on prior experience, knowing what the old splits were.
  10. The juice is not worth the squeeze, as one of my friends tends to say. This is just another thing to worry about and most people don't ever know the back end of what went any given year, that you have to deal with or worry about.
  11. Based on running the tournament, being around the mats, walking the back hallways, hearing the screaming parents/coaches, watching behavior, hearing those parents comments to kids, there are some parts of it that I will never forget each time. Granted this is a small percentage, as the vast majority are great, it only takes one.
  12. If someone would sponsor the whole thing, provide something in return to the host, provide all the equipment, be responsible for damage, work with the venue separately, provide all the setup/takedown, staff all the cameras, and understand if something is said, they are responsible. Maybe we can discuss it further.
TJ has reacted to this post.
TJ

I have pushed for it every year we have it in RC, we almost did the last two times, but as Tom said above, it just isn't going to work. Also, after being the get back guy partially on Saturday, and all day Sunday, I don't believe there is a match that happened that wasn't on video. I probably let too many people sit next to the mat and video. I certainly should have made the mothers, and others, without the dang wristband I sold them get back in the stands, and should not have been on the floor, but I gave everyone plenty of leeway to get their videos.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar