Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AAU Districts

I was told having the district tournaments was important for the retention of kids in the sport. I feel like the district tournaments could be eliminated. I did some figuring now that the district tournaments are complete. Only 6.4% of brackets had more than 8 wrestlers. There was not a single girls or schoolboy bracket that had more than 8 wrestlers. Only 4 brackets in the novice division 2.5% had more than 8 wrestlers. I also feel like having them wrestle on a 1/4 of a mat is ridiculous and dangerous. I saw multiple kids end up hitting their heads on the gym floor. I think we should go to 1 qualifier the first weekend of March and the state tournament the following weekend. Go to 8 regions. Take the top 2. Have a true 2nd place match.

Wrestler has reacted to this post.
Wrestler

8 regions with only top 2 isn't the right answer either. I personally know of a region weight class that has 3 kids who all placed at state last year in their young year and are now in their old year. Now one of these kids is out even though he is one of the best kids at that weight in the state. 4 regions and take the top 4. This fixes the current problem we also have now where two region champs meet in the 2nd round instead of the semi finals. 1v4 2v3 random draw through track. Could split the state Rapid, Pierre, Brookings, and Yankton give or take based off numbers.

Quote from cbds on March 6, 2023, 7:54 am

8 regions with only top 2 isn't the right answer either. I personally know of a region weight class that has 3 kids who all placed at state last year in their young year and are now in their old year. Now one of these kids is out even though he is one of the best kids at that weight in the state. 4 regions and take the top 4. This fixes the current problem we also have now where two region champs meet in the 2nd round instead of the semi finals. 1v4 2v3 random draw through track. Could split the state Rapid, Pierre, Brookings, and Yankton give or take based off numbers.

That would work also. I just feel like something could be changed. Just because it’s being done the same way it always has doesn’t mean it’s the best way.

Districts are needed for seeding into Regions though, which then impact the seeding for State.

If you're going to do away with Districts, you're going to have to start seeding at Regions then.  With the blind draw at Districts currently, you get championship matches in the first round, or the top three on the same side of the bracket.  Currently through the process of Districts - Regions, it generally all works out.

jobro04, SDGopher and chilcutt23 have reacted to this post.
jobro04SDGopherchilcutt23
Quote from lace em up on March 6, 2023, 11:17 am

Districts are needed for seeding into Regions though, which then impact the seeding for State.

If you're going to do away with Districts, you're going to have to start seeding at Regions then.  With the blind draw at Districts currently, you get championship matches in the first round, or the top three on the same side of the bracket.  Currently through the process of Districts - Regions, it generally all works out.

Everyone is so worried about seeding. If you want to win you have to beat everyone else anyway. Let’s do 4 regions then and take the top 4. Have a true 4th place match.

"I think we should go to 1 qualifier the first weekend of March and the state tournament the following weekend. Go to 8 regions. Take the top 2. Have a true 2nd place match."

There are a number of factors why this has not changed, but for everyone to understand there is normally not a large facility available the second weekend of March in Sioux Falls or Rapid City with the Boys & Girls State Basketball tournament's, hockey, college events etc. Later that month works better for larger venue availability.

In my opinion, one of the considerations for Districts is for mat time for some of the kids that making it to Regionals is an accomplishment for retention in the sport. You could also put team camaraderie and going through the process in there as well. Maybe not for the best kids that will make it to state, but mat time and matches for them to then go try and beat someone they are not supposed to at Regions. Many smaller clubs host Districts and it helps them with support from the wrestling community, as they might not get to host a high school tournament during the year. Super regions would be larger, and those smaller facilities and clubs might not be able to handle being a host as you would have 500-600+ kids. The 4-year average for Districts of 284 kids (2023 average was 328) and for Regions about 583 (for 2022). This would push for larger facilities to accommodate more fans/wrestlers. Keeping in mind too, the Cadets will need a full mat(s) for freestyle.

Also keep in mind that some of these hosts, that can only host the big events, want those spread out a little if possible. 

"There was not a single girls or schoolboy bracket that had more than 8 wrestlers. Only 4 brackets in the novice division 2.5% had more than 8 wrestlers." From a west river prospective some of our middle school kids have been wrestling since late October, finished their MS season, then did HS/JV, MS State, and now might be taking a break or switching sports (basketball, soccer, baseball, track etc.). If they continue, it's 5 months of wrestling, which it not anyone's fault, but they might still be on the fence long term. Girl's is still growing and the schoolboy kids, we're glad we did not lose them yet by offering something to continue, for those that want to. 

If you want a change in how things are done today, put together a plan and present it to the SDWCA board. This was done a few years ago (2014 I think) when the weight classes were changed, and it added more qualifiers to the state tournament. In 2002 the Bantam division was introduced for the series, and tots division in 2005 and in 2008 brackets went from 15 to 16, adding the extra wrestler. We recently looked at Districts and Region numbers over the last few years and made some changes for 2023 with feedback that was provided, to level out Districts and Regions a little better. We are looking at the future state rotation of towns this summer at the annual board meeting understanding the challenges of accommodations in some locations.

The money from this tournament series supplements AAU duals (multiple teams), Disney duals (multiple teams), Junior Duals, Fargo Nationals, coaching/chaperones, transportation, scholarships, national tournament entry fees (5th grade and under), and other things wrestling related to support SD wrestling. Many hosts recycle the money back into SD wrestling at all levels for camps, entry fees, scholarships, equipment, etc. 

Feedback on a public forum is ok, but not everyone is coming here to see it, but changes in how things are done today will require more. I am happy to speak with anyone about changes or how we can do things better and there is also a list of contacts on the SDWCA website to do that as well. Here is the website. http://www.sdwca.net/wordpress1/. Please put together a detailed plan based on your feedback and feedback from other clubs, then share it with a board member for consideration. We look forward to any future proposals or ideas.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar