Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Centering the mats for the finals

The state tournament felt back to normal this year and was ran well. That being said, I was disappointed the mats weren't centered for the finals. It can be difficult to see the matches on the side you are on when looking towards the other end of the arena. And on top of that, it's the state finals c'mon. I know that setting up the majority of the mats again for the following day is a lot of work, however, there are ways around this. You could leave them taped and roll them up as an entire mat and leave them off to the sides or have teams help roll them up / roll them back out. The only real reason not to center them is laziness.

East River Wrastle, SdOrange and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
East River WrastleSdOrangeRacing34ArmbarFishhookIcejaxonq118

It would take less than 30 minutes to take them down.

Center the mats like they did for the team finals
Bring seating out for family members of each finalist like they do for NCAA's
Turn down the lights to spotlight the matches
Instead of the faceoff, have an intro for each wrestler right before their match with a short bio(record, previous state placing, etc)

Jrocket, Viper and 10 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketViper3pointnearfallinterestingWrestlerBultjeAIceBen JohnsonDean MuellerSasquatchAaronCathy

Wow those are fantastic ideas I love it

Sasquatch has reacted to this post.
Sasquatch

Really like this.

Sasquatch
Quote from SDGopher on February 27, 2022, 5:24 pm

It would take less than 30 minutes to take them down.

Center the mats like they did for the team finals
Bring seating out for family members of each finalist like they do for NCAA's
Turn down the lights to spotlight the matches
Instead of the faceoff, have an intro for each wrestler right before their match with a short bio(record, previous state placing, etc)

I love the intro idea, run them each out from opposite tunnels, some personalized music, make it a crazy spectacle and there won’t be an empty seat in the arena. One of the best things about our sport is being able to do things like this. Really sets it self apart this way.

Everything SDGopher said sounds awesome. Hope we can do these things

Great ideas. Please share with your coaches so they can pass them on to the advisory board and actually make something happen. Running a tournament this large is such a delicate thing to do and so these things need to be planned out way ahead of time.

Sasquatch
Quote from East River Wrastle on February 27, 2022, 7:09 pm

Great ideas. Please share with your coaches so they can pass them on to the advisory board and actually make something happen. Running a tournament this large is such a delicate thing to do and so these things need to be planned out way ahead of time.

Agreed! Maybe they can also share the pronunciations of the wrestlers names with the announcers like they do in football.

One might figure that after 6 years at state and 4 titles they would figure out how to say Keiser!

Jrocket, Viper and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketViper3pointnearfallEast River Wrastle

"Laziness" is a tough word to throw around when everyone running the event had been there since 5:30 AM. There were a ton of people there working for nothing and to call them lazy because they didn't do what YOU think would work best bothers me quite a bit. Aside from that- "logistics" is probably a better word to describe it. We visited with SDPB on how they could best shoot the three matches and used their input in deciding to use the L-shape. With three matches, we would have had to take down five of the eight mats, center the remaining three, move tables and clocks, re-set computer and cameras, and then put them all back following the matches for the next day's dual tournament, all with people who had been there nearly 18 hours already.  With two  mats at the duals, we didn't have to move any of the tables or computers or clocks- they were already set at the head table. The third mat made everything a lot more complicated.  They also had one broadcasting crew there trying to cover all three, and it would have been much more difficult for the broadcasting crew to see all three matches if they were spread across  than in the L we had them in.  "Have a bunch of wrestlers do it" sounds great until one of them gets hurt doing it and you have a liability nightmare. Also, many of those wrestlers needed to get home and get some sleep for the next day's duals.

I personally think it all went very well, considering, and I am extremely grateful for all of the work put in to help us by the Sioux Falls schools- the thanks they get for it is people being absolute jerks to them and being told constantly how much people hate having the event in Sioux Falls. I love wrestling, you'll never get a person in this position who supports wrestling more than I do- but this is by far the most impossible to satisfy sport we have and there's not a close second place.

Adding the third classification in there made a lot of things more complicated, and there are always lessons we learn to use for the future. I would never, ever say an event is perfect. We will keep working to make it better, we always do. I need to learn to not look on here after a state tournament because its always disheartening to watch people work almost around the clock for four straight days to put on a bear of an event and see people calling volunteers lazy. I know that the vast majority are happy with how it went and I should respond to these, but I can't sit by and let people who worked very hard get trashed. I'm thankful for the vast majority of coaches and wrestlers and fans who  came to the event, rode the waves, enjoyed themselves, and supported the kids.

McCook, Fat125 and 14 other users have reacted to this post.
McCookFat1253pointnearfallTigerPrideac3217CnevilleEdumacatorAndreSkipTJCharlieFishhookSasquatch54PackersEast River WrastleAaronjcarter91

Calling it laziness is bs. That being said, it can be done, it just wasn't. People to do that are hard to come by, especially at the time they needed it done. The mats are done by the coaches and wrestlers, and have other priorities at that time. It would be cool to showcase it like the NCAA's, but that is three sets of wrestlers, not one, so I don't know how that would look, or work, it would be fun to find out. There are always ways to make it better/cooler, but it takes people to get it done. I would be interested in knowing how we can help to make it more of a spectacle, lights down, spotlights on, event. Especially since we will be having it out here soon. Maybe RC can get it done.

Here is a video of part of what Minnesota did before the finals. They have been working to get this for a long time.

https://youtu.be/M5O4cRgMelY

AND gives argument to going back to a 3 day schedule with duals mixed in.

interesting has reacted to this post.
interesting
Quote from Armbar on March 15, 2022, 12:00 pm

AND gives argument to going back to a 3 day schedule with duals mixed in.

Mixing them in was a dumpster fire, this year was much better for the kids, and they still hated it being the same weekend.

Only downside I noticed with having the duals on Saturday was the absence of fans.  When you have fans for about 100 schools here on Thursday and Friday, it seems empty with fans for just 16 of the teams that made the duals.  Not many schools were able to stay an extra day to watch the dual, unless they were participating.

My vote would be to split the duals and individual tournaments.  Do the state duals 2 weeks ahead of regions in towns like Watertown, Aberdeen or Brookings.  Take the top 16 teams in each division.  Split the A's from the B's for the state dual tournaments.

Still run a 3 day state tournament for the individual.  With the growth of the girls wrestling we will need it to be 3 days.  Go thru quarters on Thursday, make Friday night semifinals to end the night and Saturday morning do 4th round wrestle backs then placing then championship.  You could start each day at 10:00 and be done by 8:00 with a couple hour break in there.

SdOrange and interesting have reacted to this post.
SdOrangeinteresting
Quote from cdr17 on March 16, 2022, 3:42 pm

My vote would be to split the duals and individual tournaments.  Do the state duals 2 weeks ahead of regions in towns like Watertown, Aberdeen or Brookings.  Take the top 16 teams in each division.  Split the A's from the B's for the state dual tournaments.

Still run a 3 day state tournament for the individual.  With the growth of the girls wrestling we will need it to be 3 days.  Go thru quarters on Thursday, make Friday night semifinals to end the night and Saturday morning do 4th round wrestle backs then placing then championship.  You could start each day at 10:00 and be done by 8:00 with a couple hour break in there.

My suggestion (and it sounds like this is the general sentiment) is to do it 3 weeks before state individual tournament. I would suggest taking the top 8 or 10 teams and wrestling out to 8th. If you take 10 to ensure that no one got left out like MCM or Custer did last month, then have them wrestle off with the 7/8 teams to get the main tournament 8-team spot.

As far as the individual tournament I think a 2 day is the way to go if there are no Duals. Can easily be done with A/B & Girls in the same gym if you add a few mats and take short breaks or just roll through. Shorter days, no 10pm finishes, and no 3 day weigh-ins for the kids cutting weight.

I also love the idea of hyping up the finals a bit more with music and lighting like they do in MN and Utah. Getting to the state finals is a big deal and its cool to see it done that way

Jrocket has reacted to this post.
Jrocket

How bout split A & B and either scrap duals or have them the next week.  Put the Girls in with A's

Jrocket and SdOrange have reacted to this post.
JrocketSdOrange

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar