Please or Register to create posts and topics.

High School Offseason Tournaments

I'm aware of a couple like Folkstyle Nationals in Cedar Falls and High School Nationals in Virginia Beach, but the competition level at these is pretty high. I wondered if anyone had recommendations for other tournaments like these, as well as tournaments where the competition level isn't quite as tough.

There's tournaments for about any age all year long.  You'll just have to do your research on ones you're interested in, maybe contact the tournament director of each to see if you or whoever you're looking for has a match in the weight/age range.

Nacho has reacted to this post.
Nacho
Quote from Nacho on February 16, 2022, 2:05 pm

I'm aware of a couple like Folkstyle Nationals in Cedar Falls and High School Nationals in Virginia Beach, but the competition level at these is pretty high. I wondered if anyone had recommendations for other tournaments like these, as well as tournaments where the competition level isn't quite as tough.

There are quite a few different promotors who put on off season tournaments. Generally you can find lots of Freestyle and Greco stuff around the state until May or so, and Folkstyle you can find year around but you'll have to drive a bit or fly. RMN (Rocky Mt Nationals) puts on about 15-20 tournaments a year in cities like Denver, Omaha, Rapid City, Las Vegas, ect. The level of competition varies at those. Some are very tough and some aren't too bad. MWP has some mid-level competitions off season in Phoenix, Nevada, Kansas, and a few others. If you really want to dig into it you can get on trackwrestling and narrow your tournament search by state and date range. It won't come up with everything because RMN and others are on FLO not track but its a good starting point

Nacho has reacted to this post.
Nacho

I certainly recommend competing in the SD AAU tournaments in May. As ages increases, the brackets usually get smaller, (which is really sad) but any mat time is good mat time...IMO). Plus for high school age kids, they can get some exposure to Freestyle. There seems to be a stigma about the SD AAU tournaments being just a "little kids" tournament, which is kinda try today, but it could be so much more if the high school entries would increase. Best part about AAU is, there's no Class A & B. Perfect opportunity to find Who's #1.

Also, SD USAW State has competition for Folkstyle, Freestyle, & Greco. Winners of all 3 style receive a Triple Crown Award. There will be a flier on DG for SDUSAW State soon, I'm sure.

Viper and Nacho have reacted to this post.
ViperNacho

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar