Please or Register to create posts and topics.

It's a conversation starter!

I was sent this..... and want people to weigh in...

Who is THE BEST EVER in the state of South Dakota?  If you dig a bit, you find that's not an easy question to answer.

Hannon Hisek

Bon Homme High School, 1994-98

My source didn't know if it was fair to put him at number ten. A 5 time state champion at the lower weights.

David Rowe

Mobridge High School, 1983-86

4 time state champion, from Mobridge that went on to wrestle at Nebraska.

Travis Slaba

Wagner High School, 1992-95

5 time state champ, tougher than nails, slick as a whistle,  light to middle weight wrestler throughout his career. Went on to wrestle at Nebraska.

Dan Bonte

Garretson High School, 2001-2005

4  time state champ. Slick, slick, slick!

Les Sigman

Sturgis High School, 1996-2000

Heavyweight.  4x State Champ, 4x Division 2 National Champ, currently training for the US Olympic team. Note: SD has had some great heavy weights i.e. Riley Rieff, Ryan Ressel from Miller, Van Emmrick from Salem, Pulse from Kimball, Justin Harty from Spearfish.

Logan Storley

Webster High School, 2006-10

6 time state Champion 4 time All American at the University of Minnesota. Unbelievable.

Rick Jensen

Watertown High School, 1971-74

4x State Champion, Wrestled at SDSU where he was a 2 time national Champion.

Kirk Wallman

Freeman High School, 1984-89

201 -0 Highschool Record Iowa State. Dominated. Probably from the best Wresting family in South Dakota history. More on that later.

Lincoln McIllravy

Philip High School, 1988-92

Five time state champion, three time Division 1 national, Olympic medalist and he still might not be the most bad ass.

My source went on to say if you talk to Randy Lewis (see #1), who wrestled at Rapid City Stevens, he might tell you that Lincoln McIllravy was the best of all time high school wrestler.

Randy Lewis

Rapid City Stevens High School, 1974-77

According to South Dakota Sports Hall of Fame,

The 1977 Rapid City Stevens grad won the gold medal at 136.5 pounds in freestyle wrestling at the 1984 Olympics, outscoring his first four opponents 52-4 to advance to the final, where he crushed Japan's Kosei Akaishi 24-11 in 4:52. He was the youngest member of 1980 Olympic wrestling team but President Jimmy Carter’s boycott prevented the U.S. team from traveling to the Games in Moscow.

Honorable Mention: Jacob Forerester from Sioux Falls Lincoln, Ryan Van Emmrick from Salem, Lee Pulse from Kimball, Tony Denke from Bennett County, Hazen Bye and Tim Manning from Vermillion and I'm leaving a bunch of guys out that deserve recognition.

Bill and Jim Scherr could both be in the top 4.  HS state champs, national champs DI, and especially their International accomplishments.  The Kozlowski twins could be top 10. I believe both were Greco Roman medalists at the World Championships.

Dakota Grappler and Sprawler have reacted to this post.
Dakota GrapplerSprawler

I love these lists because they allow for reminiscence. I would consider the Manning boys, Brian Parlet, Koln Knight and others worthy of mention.

Timothy Farley has reacted to this post.
Timothy Farley
Quote from Dakota Grappler on February 10, 2022, 8:46 am

I was sent this..... and want people to weigh in...

Who is THE BEST EVER in the state of South Dakota?  If you dig a bit, you find that's not an easy question to answer.

Hannon Hisek

Bon Homme High School, 1994-98

My source didn't know if it was fair to put him at number ten. A 5 time state champion at the lower weights.

David Rowe

Mobridge High School, 1983-86

4 time state champion, from Mobridge that went on to wrestle at Nebraska.

Travis Slaba

Wagner High School, 1992-95

5 time state champ, tougher than nails, slick as a whistle,  light to middle weight wrestler throughout his career. Went on to wrestle at Nebraska.

Dan Bonte

Garretson High School, 2001-2005

4  time state champ. Slick, slick, slick!

Les Sigman

Sturgis High School, 1996-2000

Heavyweight.  4x State Champ, 4x Division 2 National Champ, currently training for the US Olympic team. Note: SD has had some great heavy weights i.e. Riley Rieff, Ryan Ressel from Miller, Van Emmrick from Salem, Pulse from Kimball, Justin Harty from Spearfish.

Logan Storley

Webster High School, 2006-10

6 time state Champion 4 time All American at the University of Minnesota. Unbelievable.

Rick Jensen

Watertown High School, 1971-74

4x State Champion, Wrestled at SDSU where he was a 2 time national Champion.

Kirk Wallman

Freeman High School, 1984-89

201 -0 Highschool Record Iowa State. Dominated. Probably from the best Wresting family in South Dakota history. More on that later.

Lincoln McIllravy

Philip High School, 1988-92

Five time state champion, three time Division 1 national, Olympic medalist and he still might not be the most bad ass.

My source went on to say if you talk to Randy Lewis (see #1), who wrestled at Rapid City Stevens, he might tell you that Lincoln McIllravy was the best of all time high school wrestler.

Randy Lewis

Rapid City Stevens High School, 1974-77

According to South Dakota Sports Hall of Fame,

The 1977 Rapid City Stevens grad won the gold medal at 136.5 pounds in freestyle wrestling at the 1984 Olympics, outscoring his first four opponents 52-4 to advance to the final, where he crushed Japan's Kosei Akaishi 24-11 in 4:52. He was the youngest member of 1980 Olympic wrestling team but President Jimmy Carter’s boycott prevented the U.S. team from traveling to the Games in Moscow.

Honorable Mention: Jacob Forerester from Sioux Falls Lincoln, Ryan Van Emmrick from Salem, Lee Pulse from Kimball, Tony Denke from Bennett County, Hazen Bye and Tim Manning from Vermillion and I'm leaving a bunch of guys out that deserve recognition.

If were just talking High School

Nick Smith 4x State Champ. It was many years after Jensen before Nick became the second guy in "A" to do it.

I am a huge fan of Les Sigman. He did win 4 division 2 championships at heavyweight.  He didn't allow an offensive point scored against him in the championships and won his final match over Terval Delegnav a future Olympian 1-0 after his shoulder was dislocated in the first period. However he only won one high school championship, that in his senior year.

Sprawler has reacted to this post.
Sprawler

These type of lists are tough to put together. HS only or include college and international? Which era? Definitely Nash H. is top 3 if HS only. Plus Reiff should be considered, but no college wrestling career for either and hwt competition is not usually the toughest. The Scherr's are top 10 based on their achievements after HS. The Koslowski's should be top twenty. Robert Kokesh deserves (at least) an honorable mention. There should be another Wallman in there and one or two Sturgis kids. Call it a top ten but expand to 20 - we fudge numbers all the time these tax days anyway...

duane and Steviewonder79 have reacted to this post.
duaneSteviewonder79

Travis Slaba was a 4-Timer.

Alex Kocer was a 5-Timer

Gable said it himself on your podcast.   Lincoln Mac didn't have to get beat up when he came to Iowa.   He was "College Ready"   As he won a DI title as a TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!

So if you're talking best HS wrestler EVER?......Lincoln McLlravy hands down...Really not even close...IF you're just talking HS.

Now after that (HS) you have two more levels, College and International.   Start counting DI titles and the WORLD TITLES and Olympic Medals.

Short List for international.....1. Lewis  2. Bill Scheer 3. Lincoln Mac

Dakota Grappler, Viper and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Dakota GrapplerViperSprawler3pointnearfall
Quote from Armbar on February 15, 2022, 12:46 pm

Gable said it himself on your podcast.   Lincoln Mac didn't have to get beat up when he came to Iowa.   He was "College Ready"   As he won a DI title as a TRUE FRESHMAN!!!!

So if you're talking best HS wrestler EVER?......Lincoln McLlravy hands down...Really not even close...IF you're just talking HS.

Now after that (HS) you have two more levels, College and International.   Start counting DI titles and the WORLD TITLES and Olympic Medals.

Short List for international.....1. Lewis  2. Bill Scheer 3. Lincoln Mac

I think that Randy said the same about Lincoln. However, Randy DID win the Jr World Title fresh out of high school, pinning the next year's MEN'S World Champ Tomiyama  to win it. Somebody should fill me in on McIlravy's national success.

Nash Hutmacher and Riley Reiff would have been a great matchup! Both un-touchable heavies.

P.S. It's Bill (and Jim) SCHERR  🙂

Should Ronna Gross (Heaton) be in there? Think she won Fargo a couple times

I'd put Nash in there somewhere: Nash Hutmacher, 4 x State Champ and dominated on the National scene, not his fault Football is where the money is, if he would have went in college ranks there is no doubt he would have All American and been a Natl Chap at least once. Doesnt he have the Pin record as well?

McIlravy would be my pick as he dominated and then dominated in college and then dominated on the world stage.

1. Kirk Wallman

2. Logan Storley

3. Lincoln McIllravy

4. Hannon Hisek

5. Alex Kocer

6. Riley Reiff

7. Nash Hutmacher

8. Navarro Schunke

9. Seth Lange

10. Caden Lamer

I was too young to see most of the guys from before 2000, but based on what i have watched the last few years, this is how i would go.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar