Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Medical forfeit

Us it just me or are there way more medical forfeits happening lately??   Seems to be an epidemic.  Let's not kud ourselves, we all know what's going on.

interesting, Jrocket and amk_63 have reacted to this post.
interestingJrocketamk_63
Quote from winbypin on February 18, 2024, 2:09 pm

Us it just me or are there way more medical forfeits happening lately??   Seems to be an epidemic.  Let's not kid ourselves, we all know what's going on.

You know if someone gets beat that don't think they should have been beaten it kind of hurts their feelings and its easier to go out with a medical forfeit than finish the tournament.

No matter where you go……There you are.

I realize that injuries can and do happen; however, from my review of the brackets it appears to be that it had more to do with protecting criteria.  I’m not going to mention any names because I know this thread would immediately be taken down.  I am hoping this is something that will be addressed for the sake of the sport.

interesting, Jrocket and amk_63 have reacted to this post.
interestingJrocketamk_63

I really hope they go back to counting medical forfeits as losses. That was probably a poor rule change they made.

FoxPro has reacted to this post.
FoxPro
Quote from Fat125 on February 18, 2024, 7:56 pm

I really hope they go back to counting medical forfeits as losses. That was probably a poor rule change they made.

In ND, during the regular season, a MFF counts as a loss, but doesn't count against the wrestler in head-to-head seeding criteria.

However, IF you MFF at regionals, it DOES count against a wrestler in head-to-head criteria.

What happened to to Burk Blasius from Wall?   Hopefully he's okay and will be able to compete at state.

Jrocket and FoxPro have reacted to this post.
JrocketFoxPro
Quote from WellArmed on February 20, 2024, 11:25 am

In ND, during the regular season, a MFF counts as a loss, but doesn't count against the wrestler in head-to-head seeding criteria.

However, IF you MFF at regionals, it DOES count against a wrestler in head-to-head criteria.

What happened to to Burk Blasius from Wall?   Hopefully he's okay and will be able to compete at state.

I understand the rationale, but I just think this incentivizes kids to med forfeit towards the end of the season (I believe this happened way more in the last month than it did in the first month at least in SD).  If you med forfeit it will at most cost you 2 losses, maybe 3 if it happens in the semis.  With most athletes getting around 50 matches, I dont think their season is lost because of 4% - 6% of their matches show up as losses.  I think counting these as losses, and counting them in H2H criteria will help to keep everyone more honest and less "seed saving" will occur.  I know not everyone will agree, but that is my 2 cents.

Jrocket, amk_63 and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Jrocketamk_633pointnearfallHuskers1wbdole939FoxPro

I would guess it has more to do with trying to be as healthy as possible at the state tournament than it does with preserving a seed.  As was pointed out, many of the athletes are getting around 50 matches.  That's a lot of wear and tear on the body.  There's a reason that in college most get much closer to half that many matches.  I'm not comparing the grind of college to HS, just pointing out that it is indeed a grind and that the pinnacle of the season is this week...so best to try to get there healthy (or at least as healthy as possible).  Good luck to all this weekend!

mjax26 and interesting have reacted to this post.
mjax26interesting
Quote from onthemat on February 20, 2024, 11:37 pm

I would guess it has more to do with trying to be as healthy as possible at the state tournament than it does with preserving a seed.  As was pointed out, many of the athletes are getting around 50 matches.  That's a lot of wear and tear on the body.  There's a reason that in college most get much closer to half that many matches.  I'm not comparing the grind of college to HS, just pointing out that it is indeed a grind and that the pinnacle of the season is this week...so best to try to get there healthy (or at least as healthy as possible).  Good luck to all this weekend!

I agree completely.  I think there will always be suspicion of seed preservation (and some amount of it does happen, and not all of it is actually nefarious - for example, they need minimum # of matches to even be seeded), it is sort of human nature for some to think that way especially given that winning % is a big part of the the seed criteria for state/regions.

Good luck to all!

mjax26 has reacted to this post.
mjax26

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar