Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Night of Conflict

Just saw Iowa is having their night of conflict again coming up soon. How long do you think before the SDHSAA allows South Dakota kids to go compete in this. Or maybe even host something similar. Every surrounding state is so far ahead because they embrace these kinds of opportunities to help kids improve. Not only that it helps the sport grow. Let’s quit getting left in the dust.

Skeeter, 3pointnearfall and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Skeeter3pointnearfallinterestingreshot

Luke Rasmussen competed in this last year. Sounds like you may be throwing rocks at the SDHSAA with no merit. Not sure what the SDHSAA would have to do with an out of season, out of state wrestling event?

Night of conflict is NOT put on by the IHSAA but by IAwrestle. This is great news as you can take this idea and run with it without being impeded by the SDHSAA.

Viper and Titan have reacted to this post.
ViperTitan

I believe since Luke was a Senior is the only reason he could participate. If he would have been an underclassmen it would have made him ineligible for the HS season this year.  Would need someone more familiar with current rules to verify that.

Skeeter and jobro04 have reacted to this post.
Skeeterjobro04

That is pretty much correct.

A similar thread started last September and for more information see here or look back for a thread with the same name: https://www.dakotagrappler.com/forum/topic/night-of-conflict/

Quote from TigerPride on February 22, 2023, 11:46 am

Luke Rasmussen competed in this last year. Sounds like you may be throwing rocks at the SDHSAA with no merit. Not sure what the SDHSAA would have to do with an out of season, out of state wrestling event?

Night of conflict is NOT put on by the IHSAA but by IAwrestle. This is great news as you can take this idea and run with it without being impeded by the SDHSAA.

He was a senior. So no eligibility issues. 2 other South Dakota wrestlers were scheduled to compete and were told it would affect eligibility. Maybe you should have your facts straight.

SDHSAA is doing our wrestlers a disservice by not allowing any wrestler, who excels in the sport an opportunity to get better or showcase their skills!
Your good at what you do, it is not an unfair advantage to any other wrestler. Plain and simple you work harder— your reward is to showcase your skills against other wrestlers who are as equally skilled as you.

Skeeter, Fat125 and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
SkeeterFat1253pointnearfallinterestingjobro04Sneakypete

Have you heard what Illinois is doing?  I'll see if I can find a link.

Viper, Fat125 and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
ViperFat125mjax26interestingHeather Gessner
Quote from Armbar on February 24, 2023, 11:28 am

Have you heard what Illinois is doing?  I'll see if I can find a link.

I have been following it. High school activities associations don’t own these kids. Especially when it out of season. I’m sorry if some people can’t afford or aren’t willing to take advantage of off season opportunities. That shouldn’t stop the rest of the kids from doing so. South Dakota is so stuck in the past when it comes to wrestling.

Jrocket, Viper and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketViperSkeeterTigerPrideSneakypete

Seriously?  People blast someone on facts of something that happened last fall and the rules were posted….last fall, and want to spout off about it now?  Check the rules, look at SDHSAA handbook, again, then tell us how SD kids can compete and train more

So let me get this straight...(From Armbar's post about Illinois)

If a highschool athlete competes with, trains with, learns from, or gets lessons by a college level coach or athlete that would make them ineligible for a year?? That's insanity! Virtually every single state qualifying wrestler in SD goes to summer camps that are led by college coaches or have college athletes at them.  Someone please tell me that our state doesn't follow this nonsense like IL does. We'd all need to start calling and emailing SDHSAA immediately to resolve it. What a joke!

Look at the handbook?  It has many things in it that are wrong, Chalk pointed out a few, it says 8 duals instead of 10!  Its like the state programs, full of mistakes.  Too bad they don't get some wrestling folks to look it over before print.  Who is in charge of the SDHSAA handbook, it needs a serious going through!

Back to the original post, SD tried to do something similar at the Corn Palace last year and it got shut down, was in that small window in the off season when you can’t do anything. FYI, Disney happens to be slightly out of the window so u can pick your team and compete

No reason SD can’t do this, in the corn palace on March 11 after Regions for AAU!

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar