Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Referees

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Danny Noonan stinks. Fellow caddy D'Annunzio.

coachswen and Viper have reacted to this post.
coachswenViper

To improve consistency for officials you need:

Mentoring programs for new and developing officials (all officials develop at different levels, put officials in situations where the can succeed)

A system of video review where officials can view and discuss actions or calls and come to a consensus on how the call should be made

Create an environment where coaches and officials can have mututal respect for one another.

-I have been on both sides of this fence and I know that I was a bear as a coach trying to get the call. As I got older, I changed my perspective.

-Having also been on the whistle, I know that coaches are going to fight for their athletes, but that does not give you the right to berate an official. Be Professional!                      Sometimes you are better of to bite your tongue and just let the call go. Remember there is the intent to a rule and there is the spirit to a rule.

-Regardless of your position in a wrestling match, there is going to be REF view, there is going to be Coach view, there is going to be Fan view, and there is going to be                 Parent view. Referee calls are correct approximately 99% of the time. Unfortunately, the 1% that are the ones that get most of  the attention!

We need more officials in our sport! Give it a try, it really is a positive experience in most instances. You are giving back to the sport, you generate a bit of income, and you will make partnerships that will last a lifetime in the greatest sport!

Jrocket, Brock Besler and Beau Voegeli have reacted to this post.
JrocketBrock BeslerBeau Voegeli

If you have never reffed you shouldn’t get to complain about it. There are less refs each year due to ungrateful athletes, coaches and especially parents. Out of bound rule should be changed to be the same as college. It would not leave it up to any personal interpretation. Also let’s put in a push out rule like in freestyle. It would definitely keep the action towards the center of the mat. I also agree about the tappers. The 2nd ref is also being paid. He should be in charge of watching the clock just like college.

You can't have college OOB and a push out rule Beckyvb

Sprawler, Fat125 and 3pointnearfall have reacted to this post.
SprawlerFat1253pointnearfall

I went to a high school tournament in Iowa this year and their officiating is 100% better than what is currently in South Dakota. I get that the job is not easy, but some consistency and refs that actually control the mat would be a nice change. I think back points was one of the most cringeworthy things to watch all year. Some would count too fast, some would count when they shouldn't have been (not 45), and some wouldn't count at all when needed. These refs are dictating so much to not have a firm grasp on the rulebook.

Quote from GoA on March 7, 2022, 7:53 pm

I went to a high school tournament in Iowa this year and their officiating is 100% better than what is currently in South Dakota. I get that the job is not easy, but some consistency and refs that actually control the mat would be a nice change. I think back points was one of the most cringeworthy things to watch all year. Some would count too fast, some would count when they shouldn't have been (not 45), and some wouldn't count at all when needed. These refs are dictating so much to not have a firm grasp on the rulebook.

How about a name so we can get you all signed up to help officiate this weekend and in 2 weeks

Jrocket and Bigtown have reacted to this post.
JrocketBigtown
Quote from Ben Johnson on March 7, 2022, 9:22 pm
How about a name so we can get you all signed up to help officiate this weekend and in 2 weeks

How about instead of always just telling people to sign up, we work on some sort of evaluation system to the refs we have get better instead of making the same mistakes every tournament.  The number of officials will do nothing for the sport if they dont understand basic rules and mechanics of officiating.

Jrocket has reacted to this post.
Jrocket
Quote from Fat125 on March 8, 2022, 11:56 pm
Quote from Ben Johnson on March 7, 2022, 9:22 pm

How about instead of always just telling people to sign up, we work on some sort of evaluation system to the refs we have get better instead of making the same mistakes every tournament.  The number of officials will do nothing for the sport if they dont understand basic rules and mechanics of officiating.

As Dan stated earlier they are working on getting that in place. If you don’t think we need more officials you are not paying attention. The last couple years there has barely been enough refs that are certified (registered are not eligible for post season) to work post season. I will continue to recruit more people to get into officiating instead of just sitting back and letting everyone run down officials. Everyone likes to complain but no one wants to help. The only down fall about having more people get into it is that the gyms will be much quieter because most people will realize they were wrong about a lot of things.

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar