Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Region tournament

Not having certified refs for the final state qualifier is absolutely bush league. Not only were there a lot of missed or bad calls but a lot of potentially dangerous calls missed. I don’t care if a kid loses but if a kid gets hurt because the refs don’t know when to stop a match that is absolutely inexcusable. This was the first time I’ve ever been at a region tournament without certified refs and it better be the last.

Quote from jobro04 on March 9, 2024, 7:04 pm

Not having certified refs for the final state qualifier is absolutely bush league. Not only were there a lot of missed or bad calls but a lot of potentially dangerous calls missed. I don’t care if a kid loses but if a kid gets hurt because the refs don’t know when to stop a match that is absolutely inexcusable. This was the first time I’ve ever been at a region tournament without certified refs and it better be the last.

What region?

Region 5 had high schooler refs.  First off the gym where the schoolboy/freestyle was taking place was not able to fit everyone!  That was a joke...  Let alone these schoolboys are wrestling on maybe a half mat if the refs let it play out. Watched a match where a boy smoked his head on the bleachers while being taken down. No points given. Same match there were two times for reversals, both hit the bleachers again, no points given and the kid lost the championship match. Freestyle started late because word was the ref never showed up.  Score person before start of freestyle was asking how many minutes to put up for a match.

Schoolboy needs to be full mats.  If your gyms cant handle this then shouldn't been voted in for regions.   Or do schoolboy/freestyle on Friday night since there was no room for anyone in the gym and hire refs.  Your making 10k plus on regions. Very poorly ran this year regions and to think you've had 2 years to get ready for this.

jobro04 has reacted to this post.
jobro04

Ya region 5 was pretty bad.

jobro04 has reacted to this post.
jobro04

Well I know for a fact that no high schoolers did the freestyle. So I also question your other remarks. As far as rewarding points when they are totally off the mats. I would call that the right call. I do know there was a bottleneck in the entrance between the two gyms. But there is another entrance at the far end of the gym that people where not using that much because you had to walk farther. No matter who is reffing you will always have complaints.

Quote from Duane Miles on March 11, 2024, 1:25 pm

Well I know for a fact that no high schoolers did the freestyle. So I also question your other remarks. As far as rewarding points when they are totally off the mats. I would call that the right call. I do know there was a bottleneck in the entrance between the two gyms. But there is another entrance at the far end of the gym that people where not using that much because you had to walk farther. No matter who is reffing you will always have complaints.

The refs for freestyle were certified refs because South Dakota USA wrestling set that up. Awarding points when they are completely off the mat onto the gym floor is not the right call. More than anything getting kids hurt because the refs don’t have a clue is inexcusable. I saw a coach try to explain to one of the refs why a  match should have been stopped multiple times for potentially dangerous. This was after the match was over. The table worker who was an adult was yelling at the coach to get off the mat. The coach was very calm about it.

I cannot comment on the actual match that you are talking about.  I spent the entire day in the big gym. I suggest that the coach should have made a comment to one of the people in charge so that it could be watched and addressed. We all know that emotions can be a big part of what people see and do. We had a coach talk about a different match. And his discussion totally left out the inappropriate comments that he said to one of our referees. He was way out of line. And he was putting on a defense that he had been approached wrong from the referee. But after everything was done we found out from totally neutral people. That’ witnessed the situation. That the coach was out of bounds. As you noticed I made sure that my name was on my post earlier. Because I believe a person should stand behind what they say and people should know who you are. If you are going to call someone out on something. Safety is a priority and you need to address stuff up front with the proper people.

jobro04 I just looked back on the history of your past posts. Most of your posts are negative comments. You are one of those people. Who are you? I also saw that you have had problems with WC before. Maybe you are just a WC hater?

Quote from Duane Miles on March 11, 2024, 8:51 pm

jobro04 I just looked back on the history of your past posts. Most of your posts are negative comments. You are one of those people. Who are you? I also saw that you have had problems with WC before. Maybe you are just a WC hater?

Definitely not a WC hater. I’m just not afraid to speak up when someone, especially kids are getting the short end of the stick. I make suggestions nicely about things and when I get brushed off I don’t just drop it. I keep getting told I’m just stirring the pot. Last time I checked if you don’t stir the pot all the good stuff sinks to the bottom and burns.

I  see that you still can't man up and say who you are. You are one of those that has to hide behind a screen name.  I don't take things seriously if a person can't stand behind his words

Is there anybody that can honestly say the WC did a good job hosting Regions? Or would you recommend having regions there again?

Maybe they are better suited for hosting Districts instead of Regions. Let the bigger schools/gyms take Regions and stick to the smaller tournaments.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar