Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SDHSAA BoD meeting 6-15-23 State Wrestling Tournament Changes

Board of Directors Meeting – June 15

Sounds like this was approved for the options that carried the vote in the attached from the May 3 Wrestling Advisory Meeting. For the state duals, now being held on the second Saturday of February (the week before Regions), February 10, 2024. That could affect events that happened last year that Fri-Sat. (February 10-11, 2023) for teams that will be participating at two different sites that weekend. Teams not qualified for state duals, if the same events are still held, could still attend I would assume. That was also our SD Middle School State Saturday, which is unfortunate.

For the state duals, apparently your decent plan will be off for that weekend?, matches won't count towards seeding of Regions or State, and the weigh in won't count as one of your allowed total season weigh ins. There was some discussion in the meeting based on the caveats previously listed, whether it should continue in the future after next year. Not sure what towns will host, but it sounds like it will be held at two separate venues for each 8 team state dual championship on both the A & B side. Combining them would require an 8 mat setup, but separating would only require a 4 mat setup.

Option 1 would have the dual tournament separated out at two different sites that could be hosted at more schools. It would also still allow for the duals to be wrestled out to 5th/6th place. This would allow teams to, at a minimum, wrestle twice in the dual tournament. The schedule would have the tournament wrapping up around 4:00pm on that day.

8:30 AM Weigh-Ins
11:00 AM Quarterfinal Duals Team
15 min after Semifinal Duals Team
2:00 PM Championship/3rd Place /5th Place Duals Team

Regarding the traditional state combined individual tournament for the girls/boys...It remains a 3 day tournament without the duals. February 22, 23, 24, 2024

Option 2 – It has the schedule starting on 8:00am for weigh-ins on Thursday with first round matches (10am) in the 1st session and the 2nd session (4pm) being quarterfinal matches. Day 2 would have weigh-ins at 6:30am with 1st & 2nd Round consolation (9:30am) and 2nd session Semifinals & 3rd Round consolation (3pm) followed by 4th round consolation that would end around 8:15pm. The 3rd day would start with 8:00am weigh-ins and 10:00am placement rounds with the championship round starting at 1:00pm and ending around 5:00pm. The advisory like the idea of wrestlers wrestling more than one day before being eliminated. Keeping it the same start time as in the past and felt the schedule would work at both sites better than just Sioux Falls.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

As far as middle school state goes (in relation to the dual tournament) I'm not sure why you couldn't have the dual tournament on Friday and still have middle school state on Saturday of the same weekend. If there were families that had kids at both they should be able to swing that since MSS is in Pierre which isn't more than a couple hours from everywhere.

For the rest of it, the idea that the weigh in doesn't count - I like that. but the match not counting towards Region or State Seeding I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Middle School State is not a sanctioned event by the SDHSAA, so that tournament will have to consider other options as all the February Saturdays would be taken up and that was a nice spot towards the end of the season for those kids. Pierre has the wrestling horsepower and has done a great job with it so I am sure they are looking other dates for 2024. I would think the dual tournament would be on Saturday, likely on the opposite side of the state as the state wrestling tournament.

With state scheduled to be in Sioux Falls in 2024, it might put the Ice Arena at the Monument in play for the A's, which is a nice venue, pending there is no hockey or other events. I would imagine calls are being made to check availability for sites that weekend for both the A's & B's as some high school sites might already have basketball games at that time that could lay 4 mats down and handle 8 teams & fans.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar