Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SDHSAA Wrestling Advisory Committee 2022 Mtg Minutes

Attached are the meeting minutes from Monday.

The out of state dual points (Item #3) were mentioned as the SDHSAA has to check with out of state schools (it's time consuming) to get their records etc. and this is why they went to this average. But...in listening to the regular meeting on Wednesday it sounds like they still do it in basketball on a larger scale? Does not make sense to change it for wrestling and not change it for basketball if I heard things correctly. Anyway, this might be a concern next year.

#2 I don't think the OOB rule will stick with gym sizes across SD and the catastrophic insurance concerns.

Proposed Recommendations
1. TrackWrestling Training – Motion by John Donovan, 2nd by Leonard. To make it mandatory
TrackWrestling training for wrestling coaches. This will be similar to the online rules meeting that needs
to be completed. If this is not completed by the deadline set by the SDHSAA a fine will be assessed of $50
to the school.
Rationale – Coaches are not properly entering or updating results, which creates issues at Region seeding
time. The lack of understanding is creating a negative perception of the process that should not be an issue.
Motion Carries – 6-0
2. Deviation from the NFHS rule on out of bounds ruling for High School. Motion by Postma and 2nd by
Sayler to make the out of bounds rule the same as the college out of bounds rule. Simply put if any point of
the wrestler is in the circle they are still in bounds.
Rationale – Officials rule differently on each out of bounds situation. This would make it easier for our
officials and coaches to be more consistent with their call.
Motion Carries – 6-0
3. Out of State Dual seeding points for wins and losses. Motion by Sayler and 2nd by Donovan. For out of
state dual competitions each school will receive 45.5 seed points for a win and 34.5 for any losses that
occur.
Rationale – It is continuing to get tougher and tougher to get the accurate results of team records out of
state. This would elevate this issue when it comes to seeding time for state duals.
Motion Carries 6-0
4. Proposal to Amend “Tournament Administration and Regulations” Section A (p. 6 in Wrestling Handbook)
Motion by Postma and 2nd by Ricke to read as follows: “Each team must use TrackWrestling as live
management software for all tournaments and dual competition, to include multi-dual events" In addition,
add a section following the TrackWrestling deadlines on page 6 of the Wrestling Handbook that reads as
such “Failure to update TrackWrestling via the deadlines above will result in a $50 fine to the school”
Rationale – Schools need to make it a priority to use TrackWrestling for all events in order to
properly update records, weigh-ins and seeding. This will allow schools better record keeping and
more accurate records that will help with regular, and post season seeding and scoring.
Motion Carries 6-0

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Jrocket, Nacho and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketNachomarx07interestingac3217Squirrel83

It is disappointing that they are not planning on adding a weight class or 2 for the girls.  they definitely need a 100 lb class and it would be good to adopt the 12 class weights that match up with the national standard.  Expanding to the 14 class weights like North Dakota did this year would be even better so we match up when cross borders to complete.

Bravo on the out of bounds rule change. I'm not sure we've done enough to fix the state dual tournament seeding issue, but its a start. I'm still interested to see if there is an appetite to have it at a different weekend than individual state or not. I also think we need to consider altering the girls starting weight to 90-95lbs - Just my 2 ¢

Nacho, marx07 and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Nachomarx07SD USA Wrestling BoardWrestlerClass B Rating Board

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar