Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SDHSAA Wrestling Advisory Committee Minutes

Some big changes here!

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I would have liked to see more weights for girls than 12.  I also don't like the idea of raising the max to 250 from 235.  It will be interesting to see how the different dates and true 4th will change things.  I hope for the better.

EdumacatorAndre, rebeldad and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
EdumacatorAndrerebeldadWrestlerSneakypete

6. True 4th place match at Regions - Discussion but no motion to bring forward

So this is not happening for next year

Multiple girls tourneys have added a "light 106" or a 100 lb weight class to tourneys. Many of our neighbors have a 100 lb weight class. Why wouldn't we vote for more than 12 weight classes and include the 100 lb weight class?

rebeldad, Wrestler and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
rebeldadWrestlerMuskieSneakypete

Here they are below  Look they only listed 11 weights in minutes

Girls (12) 100,107,114,120,126,132,138,145,152,165,185, 235(they voted to move this max to 250 separate motion)

Fat125, EdumacatorAndre and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Fat125EdumacatorAndrerebeldadWrestler

The minutes also state 14 weights for boys, but only 13 are listed.  120 is missing.

Makes no sense that South Dakota would add a higher HW for girls than college even offers.

235 is the collegiate max therefore 235 should be the HS max.

Wrestler and Jrocket have reacted to this post.
WrestlerJrocket

So if I'm reading the notes correctly, we will now separate boys and girls state to different weekends. This should help with late matches on Thursday and Friday with the boys tournament, and will have regional qualifying tournaments for girls which I agree with. Boys will now have an off week between regions and state to accommodate a separate girls state tournament in the middle.

Quote from Viper on March 1, 2023, 7:46 pm

So if I'm reading the notes correctly, we will now separate boys and girls state to different weekends. This should help with late matches on Thursday and Friday with the boys tournament, and will have regional qualifying tournaments for girls which I agree with. Boys will now have an off week between regions and state to accommodate a separate girls state tournament in the middle.

Incorrect. None of these items approved by the Advisory Comminute will necessarily happen, they are only recommendations. The State's AD's still need to vote and approve followed by the State's Superintendents vote and approval. So while this is the first step to get some of these changes made, there is still a long process.

Personally, I feel the the girls having a separate state tournament is still a few years away from passing. And ultimately, the AD"s and Superintendents will determine the final number of weight classes. Until then it's all speculation.

glanzercord has reacted to this post.
glanzercord

The correct process is Advisory Board proposes and passes an item, then the AD's vote at their yearly meeting later this month and if they pass it the last one with Final Approval is the SDHSAA Board.   Weight Classes have to happen next year.  Other items to vote on can go either way.  There is no voting by all State's Superintendents, only the ones on the SDHSAA Board.

Mr. Grappler, Skip and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Mr. GrapplerSkiprebeldadFishhook
Quote from McCook on March 2, 2023, 10:34 am

The correct process is Advisory Board proposes and passes an item, then the AD's vote at their yearly meeting later this month and if they pass it the last one with Final Approval is the SDHSAA Board.   Weight Classes have to happen next year.  Other items to vote on can go either way.  There is no voting by all State's Superintendents, only the ones on the SDHSAA Board.

Yeah, my mistake on the Supers voting you are correct. I did know it was the board - oops.

Quote from Sneakypete on March 1, 2023, 4:51 pm

Makes no sense that South Dakota would add a higher HW for girls than college even offers.

Eventually that is the goal - I think they're trying to gradually decrease it, as we had several girls across the state at 250+ this year.

Telling an adolescent girl that she needs to lose 20 pounds or can't wrestle anymore isn't exactly good for the sport.

Skeeter, TigerPride and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SkeeterTigerPrideSkipOld CatMuskie
Quote from Coach Niesen on March 6, 2023, 10:13 am

Eventually that is the goal - I think they're trying to gradually decrease it, as we had several girls across the state at 250+ this year.

Telling an adolescent girl that she needs to lose 20 pounds or can't wrestle anymore isn't exactly good for the sport.

The state tournament only had 2 girls weigh over 235.  Seems fishy to try and deviate for a rule just to accommodate 1 or 2 athletes.

Jrocket, Skeeter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketSkeeterinterestingCoach Jarman

Too much going on for one venue and one long weekend.

How about: Week 1 - Regionals

Week 2 - Girls Ind. and A/B Boys Duals

Week 3 - A/B Boys Individual

Then Girls are more in the spotlight, Boys aren't burned out from duals and ind. same weekend, time to do the parade, less time crunch, and two different venues could host each year. Downside is qualifiers who aren't in duals would have to wait two weeks, and also more travel for spectators. Lots of other pros/cons that I haven't thought of but I think this would be fairer to the athletes.

Quote from Sprawler on March 10, 2023, 12:25 am

Then Girls are more in the spotlight, Boys aren't burned out from duals and ind. same weekend, time to do the parade, less time crunch, and two different venues could host each year. Downside is qualifiers who aren't in duals would have to wait two weeks, and also more travel for spectators. Lots of other pros/cons that I haven't thought of but I think this would be fairer to the athletes.

Also who covers the cost of travel and lodging costs for athletes doing it this way.

I really like the idea of having the girl's tournament at the same time as the Duals but I think we still have the issue of dodging matchups if Duals are after Regions.

Wrestler has reacted to this post.
Wrestler
Quote from Fat125 on March 6, 2023, 2:01 pm
Quote from Coach Niesen on March 6, 2023, 10:13 am

The state tournament only had 2 girls weigh over 235.  Seems fishy to try and deviate for a rule just to accommodate 1 or 2 athletes.

This is crazy.  Pierre has people pulling some strings for Mcfarling.  It's kind of ridiculous.    She got lucky this year having the extra lbs on girls and still almost got stuck by Hope.      Lower the weight to where it belongs.

TigerPride and Oldman157 have reacted to this post.
TigerPrideOldman157
Quote from SDGopher on March 10, 2023, 11:05 am

I really like the idea of having the girl's tournament at the same time as the Duals but I think we still have the issue of dodging matchups if Duals are after Regions.

Could the question of dodging be alleviated if, since regions are completed, State Dual matchups don't affect Individual State seeding?

Viper, Gene Calmus and Jared have reacted to this post.
ViperGene CalmusJared

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar