Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SDWCA State Youth (Aberdeen)

Why does SDWCA allow a state tournament to be held in an area where 6 months prior to the tournament,  every available hotel within 1 and 1/2 hours of the location is booked up?  Ridiculous, especially when we should want families to attend in order to expand the sport.

Mustangs and Meghan Marx have reacted to this post.
MustangsMeghan Marx
Quote from Douglas Boes on January 29, 2023, 8:10 pm

Why does SDWCA allow a state tournament to be held in an area where 6 months prior to the tournament,  every available hotel within 1 and 1/2 hours of the location is booked up?  Ridiculous, especially when we should want families to attend in order to expand the sport.

I agree 100%. Brookings really isn’t much better. Aberdeen only has 7 motels. Rooms are even hard to find when it is in Sioux Falls. After the way the youth wrestlers were treated last year it just goes to prove it’s all about money. There is a reason they only have the high school state tournament in Sioux Falls or Rapid.

Douglas Boes has reacted to this post.
Douglas Boes

How were the youth wrestlers treated last year?

Quote from Douglas Boes on January 29, 2023, 8:10 pm

This has been an ongoing battle for years, its been 10 years since I had a dog in the fight in youth wrestling.

I always dreaded going to Aberdeen and Brookings for that Reason and your right its all about the money.

And for years Sioux Falls wasn't in the rotation, it was just Rapid, Aberdeen  and Brookings. So one good year and two years fighting for hotels.

I felt your pain.

Douglas Boes has reacted to this post.
Douglas Boes

I actually love the AAU State Tournament being held in Brookings and Aberdeen. They are far and away the best hosts of the tournament. I just wish AAU would better utilize the time, given the tight hotel room situation. In my opinion, you could wrestle the older kids/girls all the way through Friday night, half the younger boys all the way through Saturday and then the rest all the way through on Sunday. This would allow all hotels to be booked, but alleviate some of the headache of finding a room. For example - have Tots come and weigh in on Friday night, spend the night, wrestle, and then head home Saturday. Leaving that hotel room for another family coming in to weigh in on Saturday and wrestle on Sunday. Just my 2 cents.

But - if we’re really making this about wrestling and not a money grab - we’d eliminate districts and have regions the first week of March and state the second week of March. This allows all of those people wanting to attend D1s the ability to do that. It also stops families from tying up the entire month of March. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a son make weight at districts and then struggle to make that same weight three weeks later. These kids are young and growing - we need to consider that.

And then we can talk about what a joke the medals and awards are. With all the money that you have to pay to register and get a coaches band - all the kids have to show is a $.25 medal. Most of the time they don’t even get a ribbon with it to hang it around their neck. Have you seen Minnesota state champion awards?! A wooden plaque of the State - Something to show off and be proud. These kids work their butts off and end up nothing but bragging rights here in SD. We should be ashamed.

again - this is just my 2 cents.

Douglas Boes and thehardway have reacted to this post.
Douglas Boesthehardway
Quote from Lexy Klinkhammer on February 12, 2023, 5:29 pm

I actually love the AAU State Tournament being held in Brookings and Aberdeen. They are far and away the best hosts of the tournament. I just wish AAU would better utilize the time, given the tight hotel room situation. In my opinion, you could wrestle the older kids/girls all the way through Friday night, half the younger boys all the way through Saturday and then the rest all the way through on Sunday. This would allow all hotels to be booked, but alleviate some of the headache of finding a room. For example - have Tots come and weigh in on Friday night, spend the night, wrestle, and then head home Saturday. Leaving that hotel room for another family coming in to weigh in on Saturday and wrestle on Sunday. Just my 2 cents.

But - if we’re really making this about wrestling and not a money grab - we’d eliminate districts and have regions the first week of March and state the second week of March. This allows all of those people wanting to attend D1s the ability to do that. It also stops families from tying up the entire month of March. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a son make weight at districts and then struggle to make that same weight three weeks later. These kids are young and growing - we need to consider that.

And then we can talk about what a joke the medals and awards are. With all the money that you have to pay to register and get a coaches band - all the kids have to show is a $.25 medal. Most of the time they don’t even get a ribbon with it to hang it around their neck. Have you seen Minnesota state champion awards?! A wooden plaque of the State - Something to show off and be proud. These kids work their butts off and end up nothing but bragging rights here in SD. We should be ashamed.

again - this is just my 2 cents.

I have not attended a State Tournament in Aberdeen or Brookings yet. What makes them the best hosts? Just curious.

UpNOut has reacted to this post.
UpNOut

I would love it they split up the days and wrestled all the way through. Coming back the second day for 1 match is silly. It may help some with hotel availability but some people are going to stay and watch the other kids anyway.
I think they could definitely do away with the district tournaments. Have regions the first weekend in March and the state tournament the following weekend.  I feel like having 2 qualifying tournaments is just a way to make more money.  Go from 5 regions to 8 and take the top 2.  Have a true 2nd match to ensure that the 2 best kids have a chance to qualify.

If you are so worried about your wrestler having to make the same weight multiple times they should just move up and they wouldn’t have to worry about it.

TJ has reacted to this post.
TJ

Just a few notes here on the comments. These are just my opinions.

The SDWCA AAU series tournaments are a lot of work and planning to do for many volunteers throughout the state.

One of the considerations for Districts is for mat time for some of the kids that making it to Regionals is an accomplishment for retention in the sport. You could also put team camaraderie and going through the process in there as well. Maybe not for the best kids that will make it to state, but mat time and matches for them to then go try and beat someone they are not supposed to at Regions. Many smaller clubs host Districts and it helps them with support from the wrestling community, as they might not get to host a high school tournament during the year. Super regions would be larger, and those smaller facilities and clubs might not be able to handle being a host as you would have 500-600+ kids. The 4-year average for Districts of 272 kids and for Regions about 539. This would push for larger facilities to accommodate more fans/wrestlers. Keeping in mind too, the Cadets will need a full mat(s) for freestyle.

Reasoning for allowing people to go to D1's is already a consideration as we schedule our state tournament around that National College Tournament. Next year, because of D1's moving out a week, Districts, Regions, and State are back-to-back to back. Again, not everyone can afford or want to attend, but it's always open for SD families to attend if they can swing it.

Regarding weight classes we tightened those up a few years ago and added more in, they used to be mostly 5 lbs. increments. We even added a few more in for 2023. If you are close on weight, just bump them up so you don't have any worries.

Talking about the District and Region medals yes, they are standard medals without a ribbon, but the state medals are very nice with a ribbon. MN USA Folkstyle State costs $60.00 per wrestler to register and Regionals is $40 per wrestler, so $100. I think in 2022 SD was at the $10 for Districts, $10 for Regions, and $15 for state range, so $35. The younger MN kids also must participate and place in qualifier tournaments to even be considered for state. I guess we could raise the price of the SD regions and state to the MN prices and get different awards, but is that what it is all about? The SD state champs also get a bracket, like high school and college. Keeping the sport affordable should also be a consideration.

Regarding one placing match on Sunday and staying over for that we’ve heard that on both sides, some that have a smaller bracket on Saturday are upset they don’t get to wrestle on Sunday and others mention, why can’t we just finish on Saturday. The hosts normally don’t get a cut on concessions, rooms etc. and there are a few extra tickets purchased for some parents that hedged or close by relatives, but nothing that significant. Speaking from experience the awards are easier on Sunday because everything is more consistent with volunteers and the format vs. Saturday when it’s not. That might be something to discuss.

If you want a change in how things are done today, put together a plan and present it to the SDWCA board. This was done a few years ago when the weight classes were changed, and it added more qualifiers to the state tournament. We also looked at Districts and Region numbers over the last few years and made some changes for 2023 with feedback that was provided. We are looking at the future state rotation of towns this summer at the annual board meeting understanding the challenges of accommodations in some locations.

The money from this tournament series supplements AAU duals (multiple teams), Disney duals (multiple teams), Junior Duals, Fargo Nationals, coaching/chaperones, transportation, and other things wrestling related to support SD wrestling. Many hosts recycle the money back into SD wrestling at all levels for camps, entry fees, scholarships, equipment, etc.

I have been where a lot of you parents are today on the youth circuit, but one thing I learned was prospective as your kids progress to high school wrestling. And the first step is getting these kids there and keeping them in wrestling. For the “all in” kids and parents all those tournaments, state placings, finals, national tournaments were awesome, but they are nothing more than a building block if they stay out. Enjoy that ride, I did. Once they get to high school, nothing really matters that happened in AAU, other than those relationships you and your kids have forged. Embrace that.

Feedback on a public forum is ok, but not everyone is coming here to see it, but changes in how things are done today will require more. I am happy to speak with anyone about changes or how we can do things better and there is also a list of contacts on the SDWCA website to do that as well. Here is the website. http://www.sdwca.net/wordpress1/. Please put together a plan based on your feedback and feedback from other clubs, then share it with a board member for consideration. We look forward to any future proposals or ideas.

Tom Schoenhard

mjax26, TJ and Matt have reacted to this post.
mjax26TJMatt
Quote from chalk on February 14, 2023, 11:52 am

Just a few notes here on the comments. These are just my opinions.

The SDWCA AAU series tournaments are a lot of work and planning to do for many volunteers throughout the state.

One of the considerations for Districts is for mat time for some of the kids that making it to Regionals is an accomplishment for retention in the sport. You could also put team camaraderie and going through the process in there as well. Maybe not for the best kids that will make it to state, but mat time and matches for them to then go try and beat someone they are not supposed to at Regions. Many smaller clubs host Districts and it helps them with support from the wrestling community, as they might not get to host a high school tournament during the year. Super regions would be larger, and those smaller facilities and clubs might not be able to handle being a host as you would have 500-600+ kids. The 4-year average for Districts of 272 kids and for Regions about 539. This would push for larger facilities to accommodate more fans/wrestlers. Keeping in mind too, the Cadets will need a full mat(s) for freestyle.

Reasoning for allowing people to go to D1's is already a consideration as we schedule our state tournament around that National College Tournament. Next year, because of D1's moving out a week, Districts, Regions, and State are back-to-back to back. Again, not everyone can afford or want to attend, but it's always open for SD families to attend if they can swing it.

Regarding weight classes we tightened those up a few years ago and added more in, they used to be mostly 5 lbs. increments. We even added a few more in for 2023. If you are close on weight, just bump them up so you don't have any worries.

Talking about the District and Region medals yes, they are standard medals without a ribbon, but the state medals are very nice with a ribbon. MN USA Folkstyle State costs $60.00 per wrestler to register and Regionals is $40 per wrestler, so $100. I think in 2022 SD was at the $10 for Districts, $10 for Regions, and $15 for state range, so $35. The younger MN kids also must participate and place in qualifier tournaments to even be considered for state. I guess we could raise the price of the SD regions and state to the MN prices and get different awards, but is that what it is all about? The SD state champs also get a bracket, like high school and college. Keeping the sport affordable should also be a consideration.

Regarding one placing match on Sunday and staying over for that we’ve heard that on both sides, some that have a smaller bracket on Saturday are upset they don’t get to wrestle on Sunday and others mention, why can’t we just finish on Saturday. The hosts normally don’t get a cut on concessions, rooms etc. and there are a few extra tickets purchased for some parents that hedged or close by relatives, but nothing that significant. Speaking from experience the awards are easier on Sunday because everything is more consistent with volunteers and the format vs. Saturday when it’s not. That might be something to discuss.

If you want a change in how things are done today, put together a plan and present it to the SDWCA board. This was done a few years ago when the weight classes were changed, and it added more qualifiers to the state tournament. We also looked at Districts and Region numbers over the last few years and made some changes for 2023 with feedback that was provided. We are looking at the future state rotation of towns this summer at the annual board meeting understanding the challenges of accommodations in some locations.

The money from this tournament series supplements AAU duals (multiple teams), Disney duals (multiple teams), Junior Duals, Fargo Nationals, coaching/chaperones, transportation, and other things wrestling related to support SD wrestling. Many hosts recycle the money back into SD wrestling at all levels for camps, entry fees, scholarships, equipment, etc.

I have been where a lot of you parents are today on the youth circuit, but one thing I learned was prospective as your kids progress to high school wrestling. And the first step is getting these kids there and keeping them in wrestling. For the “all in” kids and parents all those tournaments, state placings, finals, national tournaments were awesome, but they are nothing more than a building block if they stay out. Enjoy that ride, I did. Once they get to high school, nothing really matters that happened in AAU, other than those relationships you and your kids have forged. Embrace that.

Feedback on a public forum is ok, but not everyone is coming here to see it, but changes in how things are done today will require more. I am happy to speak with anyone about changes or how we can do things better and there is also a list of contacts on the SDWCA website to do that as well. Here is the website. http://www.sdwca.net/wordpress1/. Please put together a plan based on your feedback and feedback from other clubs, then share it with a board member for consideration. We look forward to any future proposals or ideas.

Tom Schoenhard

Thank you. Very well put.

Just curious if there has been any talk about adding State Youth Duals? Could be one way of gaining more interest in the state duals for high school.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar