Please or Register to create posts and topics.

South Dakota Class A Ratings 12 deep Week #9 - 2022/2023

South Dakota Class A Ratings 12 deep Week #9 - 2022/2023

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I see Slykhouse moved down to 126 this week. Did SDHSAA change the rules recently? I thought you had to wrestle half the season at a weight to be eligible for regions and state at that weight. That kept kids from dropping a weight class right before regions (you can go up not down at the end of the year) but we are 9+ weeks in with only 3 to go before state. Is something new, or is that rule still there from years past

Quote from Viper on January 29, 2023, 10:06 pm

I see Slykhouse moved down to 126 this week. Did SDHSAA change the rules recently? I thought you had to wrestle half the season at a weight to be eligible for regions and state at that weight. That kept kids from dropping a weight class right before regions (you can go up not down at the end of the year) but we are 9+ weeks in with only 3 to go before state. Is something new, or is that rule still there from years past

Did they change it when they went to the new weight certification? This might have been the first week he was eligible to drop to 26.

The OPC program was supposed to be implemented in 2020 with help/guidance from the Sports Medicine Group/Advisory Committee, but did not get finalized with Covid. It was punted again last year and when the SDHSAA redacted the language for scratch weight assuming they were going to do OPC, they did not (could not) enforce making scratch weight last year. Many coaches found out through other coaches and after some frustration amongst the coaches who did not know vs. the few that did, an SDHSAA email came out from the state confirming the news mid season (on January 10, 2022). Everyone after Christmas just had to make the +2 lb. allowance and never had to make scratch of where they were going to wrestle for Regions/State, unlike the prior language stated that was removed because they forgot to put it back in, when they failed to implement OPC. See more here about OPC: https://www.sdhsaa.com/Athletics/WR-WeightManagementProgram.pdf

So scratch weight and minimum numbers of matches are a thing of the past.

The only caveat is at Regions for seeding.

https://www.sdhsaa.com/Handbook/ATH-Wrestling.pdf

This is on Page 9:

4. REGION Seeding and Drawing Rules (Updated 2017):

f. Contestants must have a minimum of eight matches actually wrestled at the weight class in which they are entered for competition at the Region Meet in order to be  considered for seeding. Any injury, illness, or ineligibility will not alter the above rule. This minimum number may be reduced provided committee members and head coaches in a Region vote by majority to do so. No one would want a top ranked kid getting drawn in at Regions, so they would likely seed prior state placers to avoid Russian roulette on the draw.

Bottom line is you "could" come into Regions at a weight for the first time all year if your decent plan allows it. If you don't win Regions, but place top 4, state seeding could be a mess for you since you likely have not wrestled the majority of the kids at that weight during the year. If that happens this year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out for any kids dropping late based on getting seed points for beating kids in your state bracket. Winning Regions guarantees you a top 8 seed I believe.

mjax26, TigerPride and hut_man have reacted to this post.
mjax26TigerPridehut_man

What about girls with no region.  What if a girl, was following her descent plan, and was only allowed to be at a weight for the last tournament or so?  She might only have 3 or 4 matches at her final weight, would that disqualify her from state because I think they use the same seeding criteria as the boys.  Or do they omit this rule for seeding the girls state tournament?

Didn’t he drop last year to dodge Logan?  This year he does it again. Sad that a “true champion” is scared of a little competition.  Be more like Noah. He went up a class for competition. He’s a true champion.

CoachGannon, TigerPride and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
CoachGannonTigerPrideCoachMike42UnbeatableJoshua CaspersonSDhunter78Sasquatch
Quote from Fat125 on January 30, 2023, 2:32 pm

What about girls with no region.  What if a girl, was following her descent plan, and was only allowed to be at a weight for the last tournament or so?  She might only have 3 or 4 matches at her final weight, would that disqualify her from state because I think they use the same seeding criteria as the boys.  Or do they omit this rule for seeding the girls state tournament?

I have no idea what they're doing with girls in that case. That is a little more in its infancy though, I suppose if there was a girl who made a weight plan down to a lower weight right before state they could have some sort of wrestle off since she wouldn't have seeding points for that particular weight

Quote from Edward on January 30, 2023, 4:26 pm

Didn’t he drop last year to dodge Logan?  This year he does it again. Sad that a “true champion” is scared of a little competition.  Be more like Noah. He went up a class for competition. He’s a true champion.

1.  Unless, you are a high schooler yourself, a grown man calling out a high schooler doesn't make you much of a man.

2. Slykhuis has wrestled everyone at 132, so not sure what else you want him to do

3. Doubtful Hutmacher will go up for the challenge of winning Heavyweight at state so not sure what you are touting there. And I'm a Noah fan, he'll stay at 220 and win a championship.

4. You want people to stop moving? Then do a hydration test before region's, then we'll see who can wrestle and who's just good at cutting weight.

Fat125, Unbeatable and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Fat125UnbeatableSDhunter78Carter SlykhuisHerbie

1) true he did and he lost to the #1 seed

2) because of 1, he dropped to a different weight class

3) people cut to dodge people they can’t beat. Prove me wrong.

CoachGannon, interesting and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
CoachGannoninterestingCoachMike42Joshua Casperson3moves

1. Yes. So did Noah(since you brought him into this). So did Nolan Miles.

2. And Noah originally started out as Heavyweight, then moved into 220.

3. people also cut weight to 1)Have a spot/fill a team 2) Because everybody else is cutting weight they are forced to. Your original statment was Noah is a champion for going up to 285(though he dropped to 220 because Chamberlain has another effe tive Heavyweight to fill the roster). Noah also wrestled Schunke once and lost. So how are Slykhuis and Noah any different, though one is evidently a champion and the other is not, though doing the same thing, I don't fault either guy, both are seniors and these are their last matches probably for life. The goal is to win a State Championship. True or False? Or make some guy on the internet board think more of them? Safely we'll say State Champ is the goal.

Other people drop because they are close enough, you have no idea Slykhuis' descent plan unless you are on the Tea coaching staff. Tschetter has missed weight couple times at 126(even after 2 lb allowance went into effect) from what I had heard. If he cant make weight and your best wrestler can score team points, is that not the goal?

Last, sticking around that weight class, if you look at 126, it is now all former 132 and 138 lb wrestlers for the most part. Look at 120 mostly former 126 lbers.  Physically those 126ers are not going to be able to handle those 132-38 guys coming down to now 128. So they should stay there and get their legs, shoulders and arms tore up? Because a lot of those guys are better wresters than the guys who dropped down, and they ain't exactly ducking when a 2 time state champ is sitting their perched at the 1 spot in 120.

There I proved you wrong.

Again. If people want to see that go away, a hydration test prior to Regions is the only way that is going to happen. Then you can see who the better wrestlers are and who is just good at not drinking water the longest. Otherwise every season from here on out will be a slow migration of the same group of wrestlers going down to wrestle each other at a lower weight class

Troy Oehme and Wilson06 have reacted to this post.
Troy OehmeWilson06

Quote from Edward on January 31, 2023, 12:10 pm

Normally I just let trolls be trolls and keep scrolling, but something needs to be said, here. You're entitled to your ridiculous opinion, but don't sit here and slander a great kid on a public forum.

Since you're so well-versed in the workings of our program, you probably know that Quincy Hulverson was the 120-pounder at the beginning of last year and that Maddix wrestled up a class early to benefit the team.

You probably also know that Jackson Tschetter has been through a growth spurt and is having a difficult time making it to 126, so Maddix decided to make the cut to help our team stay as competitive as possible, despite several injuries/issues with the squad this season.

Maddix is not scared of competition, and certainly not scared of doing the hard things to help those around him. He's a team-first man of conviction and a great all-around, high-character kid.

Jason Bridges, Jrocket and 20 other users have reacted to this post.
Jason BridgesJrocketCoachGannonFat125cg3680TigerPrideinterestingCoachMike42DRQDedication52Kevin KeiserHuskers1wMattClearlySkipSDhunter78Troy OehmeCarter SlykhuisClass B Rating Board3movesWilson06Clark A Slykhuis
Quote from Coach Niesen on January 31, 2023, 1:48 pm

Quote from Edward on January 31, 2023, 12:10 pm

Normally I just let trolls be trolls and keep scrolling, but something needs to be said, here. You're entitled to your ridiculous opinion, but don't sit here and slander a great kid on a public forum.

Since you're so well-versed in the workings of our program, you probably know that Quincy Hulverson was the 120-pounder at the beginning of last year and that Maddix wrestled up a class early to benefit the team.

You probably also know that Jackson Tschetter has been through a growth spurt and is having a difficult time making it to 126, so Maddix decided to make the cut to help our team stay as competitive as possible, despite several injuries/issues with the squad this season.

Maddix is not scared of competition, and certainly not scared of doing the hard things to help those around him. He's a team-first man of conviction and a great all-around, high-character kid.

Agreed coach. Which is why I responded as well.  Maddix, Noah and all the other kids are high competitors that i have watched for years who are doing what it takes to make their teams as competitive as possible! Wrestling is a tough sport full of tough kids!

Jrocket, CoachGannon and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketCoachGannonmjax26Coach NiesenTigerPrideCoachMike42ClearlySDhunter78JeffyClark A Slykhuis

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar