Please or Register to create posts and topics.

State Dual teams

Was looking at the SDHSAA page at the dual standings. I see a few B schools short on dual meets.  Will the teams short on duals have enough duals to make the min of 10?

Also.  I see Pierre is still listed as the #1 seed.  I see both them and BV have duals left.  But if it seeding was done today.  Who gets the #1 seed? Pierre list to BV…

Updated, 2020: To determine the eight teams in the State Dual, the top ten teams by seed point will be evaluated for qualification. Evaluation will be done by criteria in order, much as individuals are determined. Qualifications will be, in order: Head-to-Head, Common Opponents, Power Point Average, Last year’s place @ State Duals, Last year’s place @ State Individual, Coin Flip. ATH-Wrestling.pdf (sdhsaa.com)

Should a tie exist for the tenth qualifying spots for a top-eight seeding, the following criteria shall be applied to break the tie (if multiple teams are tied, items a through e shall be used in consecutive order to break the tie either positively or negatively, and the remaining teams will then be re-evaluated beginning with “a”):
a. If teams have identical point averages and are tied for one of the qualifying seeds, direct head-to-head.
competition in duals would be used to separate the tie. If teams have met multiple times, the higher
winning percentage will determine the head-to-head winner.
b. Total Opponent’s Dual Winning Percentages (All opponents team dual wins divided by all opponents
team dual matches)
c. Team with the lowest average number of forfeits per dual (The team with the fewest forfeits on average
in regular season duals shall get the seed)
d. Team with the highest average team points in all regular season varsity duals
e. Coin flip

In order to qualify for, medal and place at the State Dual Team Championships, teams must be able to fill:
a. Ten of the fourteen weight classes in Class A in all State Championship Dual Matches
b. Eight of the fourteen weight classes in Class B in all State Championship Dual Matches

If you look at the SD State DUAL Tournament part of the SDHSAA Handbook on wrestling it says:

A.  Format & Qualifying Procedures 

2 a

b  Teams must compete in a minimum of eight regular-season varsity duals to be considered as eligible for the SDHSAA State Dual Championships.

Thoughts?  Coaches?

Quote from Sasquatch on January 30, 2023, 8:11 pm

If you look at the SD State DUAL Tournament part of the SDHSAA Handbook on wrestling it says:

A.  Format & Qualifying Procedures 

2 a

b  Teams must compete in a minimum of eight regular-season varsity duals to be considered as eligible for the SDHSAA State Dual Championships.

Thoughts?  Coaches?

Is that actually what the Handbook says? Seems like they left a few things out, and if that's the case we're not really going off of anything concrete here. they better get that shored up

Are teams allowed 17 wrestlers for their dual rosters again this year?  I was looking in the handbook and could not find the number of participants that were allowed this year for a state dual roster.

Quote from Fat125 on January 31, 2023, 9:50 am

Are teams allowed 17 wrestlers for their dual rosters again this year?  I was looking in the handbook and could not find the number of participants that were allowed this year for a state dual roster.

I was told that hadn't changed, but I have not consulted the new handbook for this year

You are allowed to bring 19 wrestlers to the state duals.  Your 14 man lineup and 5 extras.

Viper and Fat125 have reacted to this post.
ViperFat125

Chalk so what you are saying is even with the head to head win if Pierre has more points than BV Pierre gets the #1 sead?   If so that’s not right.

From what I can see the below is the criteria. BV has head-to-head and are the #1 as of today unless something changes from what I can see since they have beaten Pierre and Sturgis head-to-head.

1. Head-to-Head
  2. Common Opponents
  3. Power Point Average
  4. Last year’s place @ State Duals
  5. Last year’s place @ State Individual
  6. Coin Flip

The top 10 teams are determined by power points then criteria I believe from there. So, power point average is you ticket to try and get in to the top 10 (to be considered for the top 8 for State Duals) assuming you have the required number of duals and fit the number of kids in your lineup for A's & B's. The power points are NOT the seeds, but depending on the criteria above, are likely close.

The power point average is tough to maintain, since it's a moving target as teams win or lose that you have wrestled. Your opponent's record determines how many points you get win or lose based on each dual. If you beat a team and they improve their overall record your point average could go up. If you beat a team with a losing record and they continue to take some losses that will affect you. Ideally, you want to beat teams that finish at .500 or above with their dual schedule, which nets you 47-50 points for your average based on the total number of duals you wrestle.

Opponent Win Percentage Points For Win Points For Loss
0.75 - 1.00 50 39
0.50 - 0.749 47 36
0.25 - 0.499 44 33
0.00 - 0.249 41 30
  • No points are deducted for matches against teams from a lower classification
  • No points are added for matches against teams from a higher classification
  • Only duals against varsity opponents shall count towards seed points
  • A team’s seed point average will be determined by dividing the total number of seed points earned by the total number of duals wrestled against varsity opponents, regardless of the opponent’s classification.
  • Only teams that opt-in to the State Dual Tournament will be ranked. Teams opting-in must wrestle a minimum of 10 duals in order to be considered.

Thanks.  That clears things up.   Yes they should end up #1

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar