Please or Register to create posts and topics.

STATE DUALS

Page 1 of 2Next

There seems to be a lot of opinions on this topic.  State duals are awesome, but changes need to be made IMO. Hopefully the SDWCA who makes recommendations to the state will swallow their pride and listen to the public.

Having state duals on the same weekend at the individual tournament isn’t great IMO for the following reasons:

1) poor attendance. I talked to coaches that wanted to be able to watch, but couldn’t because their schools made them come home after the individual trny. If schools are making them return home , parents, athletes, and coaches can’t stay and watch. How is this promoting the sport?

2) the grind. The state tournament is a grind for the athletes. I don’t think there was a single healthy team in the A’s. It turned into a JV fest. The athletes who got their team there are also the same ones who are competing in 4-6 matches and getting beat up throughout the individual tournament.  We also saw a lot of injuries during the duals which may be due to the fact that kids are holding weight for three days (definitely more susceptible to injury when cutting a lot of weight as the lack of nutrition weakens muscle, ligaments, and bones).

3) schedule. Individual trny being on Thursday and Friday is just dumb. These athletes have friends that aren’t in the sport, but are still in school. Their friends can’t go and support them without missing school. Wrestling isn’t like football and basketball where the school calls off school for those days so that the community can go support their teams. By having finals on a school day, those from the east side have to either skip school or not go watch their friends in the most important matches of most of these athletes lives when hosted in Rapid, same goes for west side when in SF. Also, teachers family friends, etc… have to take a day or two off from work to support them.

Let’s go back to a 2 day state tournament and host state duals a different weekend. It could be the weekend after or a weekend in the middle of the season or the week before regions. Host it at Mitchell, Aberdeen, or Brookings at the college and maybe showcase it with a College dual if possible. That will help showcase and grow the sport. For those worried about dodging…simple those matches   don’t count toward seeding criteria for the post season. Injuries happen every day so coaches and athletes will have to decide if they want to wrestle for their team and school, or themselves. I think most will take the chance. Also, may see more matchups that we wouldn’t normally see do to strategy of winning a dual. I know it’s not a perfect solution and schedules will have to be changed, and change is hard, but it will produce the best duals and better State individual tournament.

just my thoughts…post away… and hopefully your thoughts and opinions will be heard by the SDWCA and the SDHSAA!

Jrocket, Swiper and 12 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketSwiperCoachGannonFat125mjax263pointnearfallinterestingJaxWrestlerArmbarIceEast River WrastleTrevon OehmeLandon

If they're going to have duals the same weekend, they need to get a different schedule!!   Use the old ND schedule, It was almost perfect IMO.  I love duals, but I think they should be the week AFTER state individuals.   And then have them in smaller gyms.  I say either have them in a central location like Pierre or Aberdeen. Oh and A's and B's could be in seperate locations.  Hell, just host it at the #1 seed's gym.

Jrocket, 3pointnearfall and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Jrocket3pointnearfallGene CalmusJaxJaredTrevon Oehme
Quote from Armbar on February 27, 2023, 10:31 am

If they're going to have duals the same weekend, they need to get a different schedule!!   Use the old ND schedule, It was almost perfect IMO.  I love duals, but I think they should be the week AFTER state individuals.   And then have them in smaller gyms.  I say either have them in a central location like Pierre or Aberdeen. Oh and A's and B's could be in seperate locations.  Hell, just host it at the #1 seed's gym.

What schedule do they run up in North Dakota?  Or what was the old schedule that you are advocating for?

Armbar has reacted to this post.
Armbar

Couldn't agree more with this post. To add, I guarantee there isn't a single wrestler in the state who wanted to wake up Saturday morning and wrestle in the duals. In addition, kids and families can't even celebrate the accomplishments of the individual tournament and they have to make weight an additional day. It needs to be separated from the individual state tournament. With the girls division being added to the boys Thursday and Friday are extremely long days and having the duals Saturday is at the very least a drag for exhausted wrestlers, coaches, and fans. Do it a week or two before regions and make the individual state tournament enjoyable again. Maybe we could even do the duals in conjunction with the girls state tournament to allow for more time in between rounds. With the girls mixed in with the boys there is no time for the wrestlers to recover in between rounds anymore which is exhausting and way too long. Come on SDHSAA (or whoever makes the decision), we gave it a try and it sucks. Make a change.

Sara, Swiper and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SaraSwiperEast River WrastleTrevon Oehme

personally I would love to have the state duals done before regions.  Make it a sweet 16 like basketball.  1 seed hosts the top of the bracket and 2 seed hosts the bottom of the bracket for the 1st round on a Tuesday night.  Each team gets one dual, if they lose they are out if they win they move on to state.  Then the Saturday 2 weeks before regions have the state dual tournament in a smaller venue.  The A's would be on one town like Pierre or Aberdeen and the B's could be in towns like Wagner, Miller, Salem or any other town that has a decent sized gym.  just my $.02.

Swiper, Jax and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwiperJaxEast River WrastleTrevon Oehme

ND used run this 3 day schedule:

Thursday

Morning and afternoon session.  9 or 10 am 1st Rd Individuals for B and 1st Rd duals for A's on the outside 4 mats.   Then they Ran the same Round but switched.  So A Individual and B's Dualed.    (Usually ran B duals 2nd, as I remember heading out and not watching them a lot).  .

Thursday Evening.   A & B Individual Quarter Finals.  ND used to do a parade of Atheletes and then Highlighted the Qt. finals by having them in the evening, and the atmosphere was intense! (Time changed throughout the years but later time was the better option)

Friday Morning & Afternoon:  1st Round WB, and 2nd Rd WB both A & B.  Then Semifinal & WB duals.  I can't remember if the A duals, and  were during the 2 B WB rounds and then Switched or if all dauls were after them.  They may have done it both ways.    At this point on the Inividual side, all weights were down to just the placers.  4 in the semis, and 4 in 3rd rd wb.

Friday Night:  Semi-Finals starting around 5....SO MUCH BETTER THAN AT 9 AM!!   Great Intensity.   These guys had all day to rest, but some did have a dual.  There may even be some re-matches from the duals in the afternoon.

Dual FINALS right after Individual Semi-Finals.   And while a lot of fans do leave, you'll NEVER in a 100 years get a better crowd for the dual finals than right after the Individual Semi-finals.  Don't @ me on that!  And yes This will be the 3rd possibly 4th match for those few that wrestled in both WB rounds and were in the Duals.  YES there are many semi-final re-matches that just occured an hour ago and many times the fianalist will then lose in the dual.

Saturday: ALL INDIVIDUAL  Morning starts with 3rd Rd WB, Then Cons-Semis, Then placing rounds.   They wrap that all up and set up the floor with 2 mats and awards area for Ind. A & B Finals.  They would do all the Hall of Fame inducties before the finals and have them and their families take pictures on the awards stand before the finals.  Then before the face offs they would turn off the lights and do a different show every year. Thats when all the fans would break out the glowsticks.  Usually all over by 6 pm.

Jared, McCook Assist and Fat125 have reacted to this post.
JaredMcCook AssistFat125
Quote from Armbar on February 27, 2023, 4:14 pm

Thursday

Morning and afternoon session.  9 or 10 am 1st Rd Individuals for B and 1st Rd duals for A's on the outside 4 mats.   Then they Ran the same Round but switched.  So A Individual and B's Dualed.    (Usually ran B duals 2nd, as I remember heading out and not watching them a lot).  .

Thursday Evening.   A & B Quarter Finals.  ND used to do a parade of Atheletes and then Highlighted the Qt. finals by having them in the evening, and the atmosphere was intense! (Time changed throughout the years but later time was the better option)

Friday Morning & Afternoon:  1st Round WB, and 2nd Rd WB both A & B.  Then Semifinal & WB duals.  I can't remember if the A duals, and  were during the 2 B WB rounds and then Switched or if all dauls were after them.  They may have done it both ways.    At this point on the Inividual side, all weights were down to just the placers.  4 in the semis, and 4 in 3rd rd wb.

Friday Night:  Semi-Finals starting around 5....SO MUCH BETTER THAN AT 9 AM!!   Great Intensity.   These guys had all day to rest, but some did have a dual.  There may even be some re-matches from the duals in the afternoon.

Dual FINALS right after Individual Semi-Finals.   And while a lot of fans do leave, you'll NEVER in a 100 years get a better crowd for the dual finals than right after the Individual Semi-finals.  Don't @ me on that!  And yes This will be the 3rd possibly 4th match for those few that wrestled in both WB rounds and were in the Duals.  YES there are many semi-final re-matches that just occured an hour ago and many times the fianalist will then lose in the dual.

Saturday: ALL INDIVIDUAL  Morning starts with 3rd Rd WB, Then Cons-Semis, Then placing rounds.   They wrap that all up and set up the floor with 2 mats and awards area for Ind. A & B Finals.  They would do all the Hall of Fame inducties before the finals and have them and their families take pictures on the awards stand before the finals.  Then before the face offs they would turn off the lights and do a different show every year. Thats when all the fans would break out the glowsticks.  Usually all over by 6 pm.

I am all on board with this.

interesting, East River Wrastle and Armbar have reacted to this post.
interestingEast River WrastleArmbar

ND no longer does it this way, they are doing it the same way as SD

Travis and East River Wrastle have reacted to this post.
TravisEast River Wrastle

If you break it down, day by day....Thursday, at most e 3 matches.  And that's only for those in the QT finals of Individuals and in duals.  2 rounds in Individual (no WB) and 1 dual.

Friday....Semi Finalists could have 3 matches if in the duals too, but if not, only 1 match.  Conselation has 2 rounds and Duals.   Yes Friday is a busy day, for those in duals.  But since Semi-fianlists only have 1 match on the individual side, Those boys have it pretty easy if not in the duals.  On the individual side, ONLY PLACE WINNERS left.   So yes they may have 2 more duals to wrestle Friday night but,  they've placed and only had to wrestle ONE TIME in the dual Thursday.   Semi-FEinals are just awsome.  And yes in the Duals you'll have many state final show downs that take place earlier in the dual meet competiton.   Especially in ND with far fewer schools.  But it worked.

Now I don't know what ND is thinking.   They just couldn't leave well enough alone!!

I disagree with doing the duals during the individual tournament. The only people who want that are spectators. I guarantee you most coaches and all wrestlers would not. Why would you want to introduce an element of unfairness to the individual state tournament.

Class B Rating Board, interesting and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Class B Rating BoardinterestingrebeldadEast River WrastleWild Bill 71anothernobody
Quote from Armbar on February 27, 2023, 4:14 pm

Thursday

Thursday Evening.   A & B Individual Quarter Finals.  ND used to do a parade of Atheletes and then Highlighted the Qt. finals by having them in the evening, and the atmosphere was intense! (Time changed throughout the years but later time was the better option)

Three years ago we intermixed duals and individual, was done different than this, and it wasn’t well received…hence what we have now. It did allow for more fans to attend, but was horrible for the wrestlers that were in the duals. 2-3 more grueling matches for some and still long days for those in both. Coaches didn’t like it. A week before regions doesn’t really impact any schedules as very few teams wrestle that weekend. I know both Phillip and Huron had tournaments, but there were hardly any teams at either tournament and not even all the wrestlers on those teams participated.

interesting has reacted to this post.
interesting
Quote from Nacho on February 27, 2023, 4:44 pm

I disagree with doing the duals during the individual tournament. The only people who want that are spectators. I guarantee you most coaches and all wrestlers would not. Why would you want to introduce an element of unfairness to the individual state tournament.

The element of unfairness is already there.  With the duals on Saturday you have kids in the duals wrestling for state medals while holding weight for one final weigh in.  Kids who are not in the duals might be 10 or more pounds over without a care in the world because their weigh ins are done.

interesting has reacted to this post.
interesting

Great tournament. Don’t change anything.

attendance issue if people want to stay they would stay excuses excuses…

interesting, Armbar and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingArmbarClass B Rating Boardanothernobody

As I stated earlier,  I'd like to see the duals the week after State.  A smaller gym, in a smaller more centrally located city is how I'd do it.  If you split the A & B venue's you could do it on 2 mats.

I doubt the SDHSAA will want to push it to the week following the state tournament as it would then interfere with region basketball. Plus IMO the season is already long enough and no wrestler wants to show up Monday after state for practice.

interesting, Jax and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingJaxJaredEast River WrastleMuskie

Ya I highly doubt they'll do it that way either.  I agree with what you are saying I just think it's sad that the duals don't even matter much to the athletes who are in them.   Maybe scrap them all together?  I mean they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.   I still think the 3 day schedule would grow on most coaches if they would run it once.   It's hard to notice the suttle details when looking at it on paper.   But when you see all the time the teams have that aren't in the duals you begin to like it even more.   Especially how it highlights the winners bracket.  The Qt Finals and Semis are really exlemplified.   Plus, wrestlers who lose 1st round still wrestle on Friday.  And only 1 dual is wrestled Thursday, then after the 2nd round of WB Friday, they have round 2 of duals.  This means only individual place winners are left in the individual side.

The only kids who would wrestle 4 times on Friday are those that wrestled 2 rounds in WB and are in the duals, and most of them won't wrestle Saturday anyway.  ONLY the kids who lost 1st round and came back with 2 wins in WB to place, AND are in the duals would be in that rare category.   They're the iron men anyway right.

The only option that makes sense is to try and turn it into a standalone event before regions.

Viper, Coach Schuyler and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
ViperCoach SchuylerinterestingTakedown247365JaxArmbar

My concern with running the duals with the individuals, is the added matches on the kids.  If you have a kid chasing a state title, do you really want them risking injury in a dual match?  I would propose the duals the week after, and to add in - with a dual format, an A vs B dual made up of the individual place winners (also not opposed to the 2 winning teams of the duals wrestling off)  for a true state champion of each weight class.

Quote from East River Wrastle on February 28, 2023, 10:45 am

The only option that makes sense is to try and turn it into a standalone event before regions.

This has been my thought for a while too. Maybe a week before regions, or end of January like Iowa does. I'm not sure there's an alternative that will appease everyone

Ice has reacted to this post.
Ice

Why not get rid of the East / West duals and make it the State duals......Leave it in Pierre so that you don't have to travel to one side of the state or the other.

SDGopher, Fat125 and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SDGopherFat1253pointnearfallTakedown247365Ice
No matter where you go……There you are.
Page 1 of 2Next

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar