Please or Register to create posts and topics.

State Duals

who are the teams this year?

If everyone's scores are entered these look to be the top eight in the standings. Note these are NOT state released official brackets at this point.

Class A
1. Brandon Valley
2. RC Stevens
3. Watertown
4. Harrisburg
5. Tea Area
6. Pierre
7. Sturgis
8. West Central

Class B
1. Winner
2. KWLPG
3. Kingsbury County
4. Canton
5. Custer
6. BHSA
7. Parkston
8. Redfield

Viper, 3pointnearfall and Skip have reacted to this post.
Viper3pointnearfallSkip

From the Wrestling Handbook:

Updated, 2020: To determine the eight teams that will participate in the State Dual tournament, the top ten teams
by seed point average will be evaluated for qualification. Evaluation will be done by criteria in order, much as
individuals are determined. Qualifications will be, in order: Head-to-Head, Common Opponents, Power Point
Average, Last year’s place @ State Duals, Last year’s place @ State Individual, Coin Flip.

This powerpoint criteria is a joke. If you just look at head to head match ups and what teams have for wrestlers you can see that this criteria is not going to put the best 8 dual teams at the state tournament. The best 8 dual teams in the Bs are: Winner, KWLPG, Canton, Philip Area, Redfield, Custer, MC/M, and Parkston. Philip Area and MC/M are currently not ranked in the top 8. MCM is being punished for actually dualing tough teams. Their 6 losses are to KWLPG, Canton, Philip Area, Custer, Sturgis, and West Lyon. I don't mean to be degrading I am just stating facts, but Kingsbury County's most significant win is to C/WL and BH/S/A's is Parker (by 1 point), plus BH/S/A lost to Parkston (by 14) yet they have more powerpoints. Just doesn't really make sense.

This could be said for the individual side of things as well but why are we de-incentivizing wrestling tougher teams/individuals? That's not what wrestling is about. The current criteria is not healthy for wrestling in our state and I know I'm not alone in wishing that it could be changed sooner rather than later.

Anyone know when they will release the official teams?

Sasquatch, Jason Bridges and 10 other users have reacted to this post.
SasquatchJason BridgesthehardwayinterestingSdOrangeWarrior93Kaleb BusemanTJDietbossLongleyAaronJim koch

My uneducated thoughts as currently listed.

As listed and I will work from top down
1.Win
2.KWLPG (moves to 1 with a H2H over Win)
3.KICO
4.Canton
5.Cus (moves to 7 below Phi and Red)
6.BH (moves to 7 after H2H loss to Pkstn)
7.PKSTN (moves to 6 with a H2H over BH, BH to 7)
8.Red (moves to 5 with H2H over Cus and Pkstn , Cus to 6 Pkstn to 7, BH to 8)
9.Phi (moves to 5 with a H2H over Red, Red to 6, Cus to 7, Pkstn to 8, BH is out)
10. MCC

So I have, unless I missed something,

1  KWL
2  WIN
3  KICO
4  CAN
5  PHI
6  RED
7  CUS
8  PKSTN

EDIT, according to the state I am an idiot...which I already knew.

SdOrange has reacted to this post.
SdOrange

First off let me say that I’m excited to watch these duals next weekend. Secondly, if Mr Grappler’s numbers are correct I’m shocked not to see Philip Area not in the top 8 for dual teams (and MCM too) they’re probably top 4-5

interesting has reacted to this post.
interesting

Here is the SDHSAA website I'm looking at, so it's easy for anyone to check it out.

https://sd.varsitybound.com/sports/boyswrestling/2021-22/standings?sort=SeedPoints&direction=Descending&level=varsity&idGroup=h202102050420351936aac797586284a

saint has reacted to this post.
saint

As irritating as it can be, I am just thankful we get a state dual tournament.  I'm sure there will be more fine tuning here in the future to get it right, but until then I am glad we have it rather than not have it.

interesting, Nacho and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingNachoLoudenRon shomion

Depending on who you want to see in the tournament depends on your point of view I guess.

Philip got 47 power points for a FF that they never even wrestled.  They also LOST to Parker whom you said was a weak BH win.

Kingsbury County has surpised all year, they don't have a lot of high rated wrestlers but they keep putting up the W's.

Should they change the power points and lessen the points for losses?  Football points are what they are and a board doesn't kick teams out of the playoffs do they?

Kimball and Winner are obvious 1 and 2 seeds.  Good luck on the rest, we look forward to seeing the final product.

Casey Hanson has reacted to this post.
Casey Hanson
Quote from Sasquatch on February 14, 2022, 5:19 pm

Depending on who you want to see in the tournament depends on your point of view I guess.

Philip got 47 power points for a FF that they never even wrestled.  They also LOST to Parker whom you said was a weak BH win.

Kingsbury County has surpised all year, they don't have a lot of high rated wrestlers but they keep putting up the W's.

Should they change the power points and lessen the points for losses?  Football points are what they are and a board doesn't kick teams out of the playoffs do they?

Kimball and Winner are obvious 1 and 2 seeds.  Good luck on the rest, we look forward to seeing the final product.

I take it your kid wrestles for Kingsbury County.  I suppose some of the wins you're talking about are the 2 duals they won in one evening, where they blanked Iroquois/Doland's one wrestler for one of their wins!  I'll admit Kingsbury County has a good number of boys out, but in the two duals they wrestled that evening they actually only wrestled 8 matches and of the 8 matches wrestled they only won 3 of them.......sounds like a powerhouse.  Also everyone knows they refuse to dual certain teams, so tell me again why they deserve to be in the state duals?  Their coaches have figured out how to work the system is all they have accomplished.

Gilligan, Casey Hanson and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
GilliganCasey HansonFat125SdOrangeTWLHeadLockKing69Kaleb BusemanKeithDietbossLongley

It is disappointing that we are not going to be in the duals this year.  When we went out west to dual Phillip, Sturgis, and Custer we had four starters out with sickness.  It was tough going out there knowing what could of been but that how it goes.  The Same thing happened to Phillip when they went to Winner to dual Canton, K/WL/P-G, and Parker they had a bunch of guys out.  I just wish there was a strength of schedule criteria, but like mentioned before it is a work in progress, just happy that the state moved the duals to the day after the individual tournament so we can get some true duals for once.  MCM will be there to watch and enjoy some great wrestling Saturday.

Jason Bridges, Viper and 8 other users have reacted to this post.
Jason BridgesViperBrawlersSamdog77SdOrangeSkipTJLeo M EvenBrock BeslerClass B Rating Board

You're right Sasquatch, I am partial. I would like to see the 8 best and most deserving teams competing at the state tournament. The point of my previous post was to say that the current design does not facilitate that. I am criticizing the system we are using, not the teams. It's obviously not perfect for football either, but it works a lot better in that arena. Plus, I am advocating that our current system promotes wrestling weaker opponents and dodging. Wouldn't you like to see a system that promotes wrestling better competition and rewards teams/individuals for doing so? It will only make wrestling in our state better and more exciting to watch. If you really think that this system is the best it can be and that KC is the 3rd best dual team in the state then you need to get your eyes checked.

Squirrel83 has reacted to this post.
Squirrel83
Quote from coachswen on February 14, 2022, 4:18 pm

As irritating as it can be, I am just thankful we get a state dual tournament.  I'm sure there will be more fine tuning here in the future to get it right, but until then I am glad we have it rather than not have it.

That seems to be the general consensus amongst coaches, and even parents...... How do the wrestlers feel about the state duals?  More importantly, how do they feel about the state duals when it is not a coach or a parent asking them about it?

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar