Please or Register to create posts and topics.

State Seeding

Question about how state is seeded. With 5 region champs how is it decided what kid gets placed into which spot? Track rank value? Random draw?

Random draw rotating each Region each year, so you will get 3 Region champs on one side and 2 region champs on the other.

Here is an Example:

Region Place (Region) and by line in the 16 man bracket

Top 8 in bracket:

1 (1)

3 (5)

2 (3)

2 (4)

3 (1)

2 (2)

3 (3)

1 (5)

Bottom 8 in bracket:

1 (2)

3 (4)

2 (5)

2 (1)

1 (3)

4 (5)

3 (2)

1 (4)

trig72 has reacted to this post.
trig72

Each region placer has a pre determined spot in the bracket. There is no seeding.

Why wouldn’t each weight class in a particular division have the same seed placement based on region? Using the example above, why would that not be used for each weight in a division?

I think there are six different combinations that can be applied to the placements. It might not be all the same for each weight class.

How do they determine which Region get 4 qualifiers?

Quote from Armbar on March 16, 2022, 1:44 pm

How do they determine which Region get 4 qualifiers?

http://www.sdwca.net/wordpress1/assets/SDWCA-Top-4-at-Regions.pdf

If they did all the weight classes in a particular division, using the same approach wouldn’t that increase the likelihood that a kid isn’t placed in the side of the bracket with the 3 1st placers both years they are in that division? I know a few kids who seem to be on the side with the 3 1st every year. Also publishing how the placement would fall allows for some strategy like you see in high school where a kid who has a better chance making it to the 1st place match based on the side of the bracket they are placed may opt to lose a match in order to set them up for a championship match vs a 3rd place match. Publishing the placement would also eliminate some people’s thoughts that the placements are set up to benefit a particular kid.

I don't think the intention is to publish the scenarios to get forfeits at regions for youth wrestling. Geez come on, if you got to a national tournament most are drawn in basically, like RMN or whatever. You have to beat everyone to win, as the saying goes.  The placements are NOT intended to benefit any "particular kid", they are just a few formula's to make it more random so what you are saying does not happen.

Maybe we should just do a blind draw to get everyone in? Honestly, I can't believe what was posted above. There will be about 1,400 kids participating/qualified, not many know how much work it takes to run a state tournament and has the experience going through all the brackets etc. would take the time to benefit a "particular kid". I have done it for both state and regions and it's a ton of work and it's the last thing on my mind.

Anything can happen in any tournament. Go beat someone your not supposed to or go work harder in the off season. AAU titles/places don't define your future. Let's not complain about your kids AAU draw. Set a goal and if that does not work out get the next best thing if you can. Good luck to all in SF.

jobro04, BuckStrong and Keith Shoemaker have reacted to this post.
jobro04BuckStrongKeith Shoemaker

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar