Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Thoughts on SD State Wrestling Tournament

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Also forgot making these kids.maintain weight for 3 days, is ridiculous. Give them 3 or 4 pounds for the 3rd day then. Being able to perform and still keep trying to maintain a balance of nutrition and weight?

Reasa and Heather Gessner have reacted to this post.
ReasaHeather Gessner
Quote from Domini on February 24, 2024, 11:47 pm

As a parent of  “older kids” and “younger kids” meaning I haven’t had much stake in the high school state tournament for a few years (we are back again) but it has definitely changed a bit from the last time one of my kiddos won a state title.  I agree with most of what has been said so far about dragging the tournament of over 3 days.  For goodness sakes NCAAs are only 2 days!  And what happened to the flare before finals?!  I agree it’s about the wrestling and not a party but no music during face offs no fun stuff to get the crowd involved (btw I loved the things that Watertown did to keep the crowd going during State Duals).   We are all there to support the wrestlers but it definitely is not the state tournament atmosphere that it used to be.  ….and for goodness sake somebody turn up the heat I though the grandma behind us was going to get hypothermia!

NCAA Wrestling Tournament is certainly not a two-day event.

Rotert197, seas78 and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Rotert197seas784pointnearfall!David
Quote from Reaper on February 25, 2024, 10:04 am

Sportsmanship has really gone down the shitter……the whole tournament you herd a team getting 1 team point deducted for un-sportsman like conduct.

I think the state should up the game from 1 point deduction to 5 or more. Maybe high enough that it could have an effect on the team’s placement in the top 6.

Maybe go a step further and give the points to the team they were wrestling, like bonus points for pinning. (Sportsmanship Points).

I agree it is sad to hear all the unsportsmanlike calls.  I understand it is an extremely emotional sport with a lot of highs and lows.  However, I do feel by the time you are a varsity wrestler, you should be able to control that while in the public eye.  Go be by yourself and do what you got to do.  I went back and looked to see how many unsportsmanlike calls there were and came up with 8 total - 5 from the girls and 3 from the boys.

Viper, Reaper and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
ViperReaper3pointnearfallClass B Rating BoardHeather Gessner
Quote from All Knowing 2.0 on February 25, 2024, 2:40 pm

As a parent of  “older kids” and “younger kids” meaning I haven’t had much stake in the high school state tournament for a few years (we are back again) but it has definitely changed a bit from the last time one of my kiddos won a state title.  I agree with most of what has been said so far about dragging the tournament of over 3 days.  For goodness sakes NCAAs are only 2 days!  And what happened to the flare before finals?!  I agree it’s about the wrestling and not a party but no music during face offs no fun stuff to get the crowd involved (btw I loved the things that Watertown did to keep the crowd going during State Duals).   We are all there to support the wrestlers but it definitely is not the state tournament atmosphere that it used to be.  ….and for goodness sake somebody turn up the heat I though the grandma behind us was going to get hypothermia!

It is correct that the NCAA's are not a two day event, its a 3 day. I was at the last several. However its also a 32 man bracket so you do have twice as many athletes.

I think 3 days is too much as well. On the weight allowance I think 1-1-2 would work if you need to do a 3 day event. You want the kids to stay well hydrated, etc. That helps cut down injuries.

I coached in Minnesota, so at that time it was Districts, Regions and then State. Someone mentioned wrestlers competing with sub 500 records, its not where you start but where you finish. I have seen kids with rather poor records make the finals, not often, but makes it more interesting. You never know who is going to catch fire and blow out the top seeds. I always told my kids to never under estimate anyone!

Overall, it was a decent tournament. I think the HS Activities Association should explain the reasoning behind making it a 3 day. With that many mats, it doesn't need to be even with 3 classes. The finals were good, some upsets, people are always going to get caught, again upsets are part of the fun.

4pointnearfall! and krazy32 have reacted to this post.
4pointnearfall!krazy32

I think we can try to focus on some of the positive stuff, but that is not how we roll on this board… How about the beautiful venue and the awesome weather. I personally enjoyed the 3-day format, got home early the tuck my kids in at night, it’s the state tournament, it is suppose to be a big deal, not just another 2 day tournament. How about the entertaining matches in class “A”… I think I predicted 5 out the 14 correctly and I feel I follow class A pretty close

who cares about what town the mats are from, I got a kick out of it, but that’s what we focus on. Blows my mind.

only legitimate complaint I heard was lack of warm-up mats. Tournament went smooth people, keep it 3-days and allow more entrants, like Iowa does

Fat125, mjax26 and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
Fat125mjax26ddstukelWrestlerkrazy32Steve JohnsonDavid

As for maintaining weight, isn’t that what we put that new system in place for. If you are not cheating that system at beginning of year, weight decent or maintenance should not be a problem.

what was everyone’s finals match…

Jrocket has reacted to this post.
Jrocket
Quote from Steve Johnson on February 25, 2024, 6:05 pm
Quote from All Knowing 2.0 on February 25, 2024, 2:40 pm

It is correct that the NCAA's are not a two day event, its a 3 day. I was at the last several. However its also a 32 man bracket so you do have twice as many athletes.

I think 3 days is too much as well. On the weight allowance I think 1-1-2 would work if you need to do a 3 day event. You want the kids to stay well hydrated, etc. That helps cut down injuries.

I coached in Minnesota, so at that time it was Districts, Regions and then State. Someone mentioned wrestlers competing with sub 500 records, its not where you start but where you finish. I have seen kids with rather poor records make the finals, not often, but makes it more interesting. You never know who is going to catch fire and blow out the top seeds. I always told my kids to never under estimate anyone!

Overall, it was a decent tournament. I think the HS Activities Association should explain the reasoning behind making it a 3 day. With that many mats, it doesn't need to be even with 3 classes. The finals were good, some upsets, people are always going to get caught, again upsets are part of the fun.

The Division II NCAA Tournament, which is a 16-man bracket, is a 2 day event.  I believe that is what she was referring to.

I know they will make changes is my guess after this past State tourney format.  Remember when it was 2 days we were there till 1000pm or later on Friday night?  That was only 2 boys' classes so as a Coach I would say no way for 2 days for 2 boys' classes and 1 girl.  Maybe not start Thursday till 400pm and run round one for all 3 or start at 100pm with one session with 1st round followed by the Ouartrfinals only.  Just a thought.

Yes, sportsmanship was poor this weekend hate to see this.

Mats will be better next time.  I'm sure after that mess up they will fix it, just like after day 1 weigh-ins they fixed it for us and it was a whole lot better!

I will say it was different getting done so early on Saturday and it was nice getting home earlier on Saturday.

It was very nice this year as a Coach and your athlete on deck or in the hole being able to go out to the mat ahead of time.  First tourney in the past 4 years we did not feel like we were in a prison run by prison guards.  Hats off to the SDHSAA for changing that part of the tourney!

Coach Andal MCM Wrestling

Jrocket, Brawlers and 11 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketBrawlersClearlySkipGilliganDpechousJoshua CaspersonTJRiley Millerkrazy32DavidCoach LettauMuskie
Quote from 4pointnearfall! on February 25, 2024, 9:38 pm

As for maintaining weight, isn’t that what we put that new system in place for. If you are not cheating that system at beginning of year, weight decent or maintenance should not be a problem.

what was everyone’s finals match…

If you want to maintain weight correctly and truly think of the health of the wrestlers, that's easy: a hydration test before the start of the state tourney. Boom done. We got all this extra time now, I'm all for it  Otherwise the hydration test at the start of the season is just a dog and pony show and the kids are still just sweating it out the rest of the season per usual, you know it, I know it, we all know it. But if they did a hydration test at State, nobody is going to screw with that. You're going to wrestle what you weigh, and guess what? It'll be the same group of kids they were going to wrestle anyway. But the reality here is wrestlers  maintain weight for 3 days, skip meals, and dehydrate themselves to do it. But since that's how we've always done it, that's how we'll continue to do it, But I guess drawing the event out to 3 days so we can get home earlier seems worth it.

Well I guess it would have to be like a skin check then, done at every weigh in… that would take a ridiculous amount of time and I doubt anyone is for that. How was the tournament drawn out? There was at most 1-1.5 hours in between sessions. It’s about the kids not you.  I think what sd has in place is great, if you don’t like it, find a state with a two day state tournament and no dog and pony shows

I think that the way the tournament was run this year was the best it had been run in several years. With Boys A & B and girls all being together I think the 3 day tournament is so appropriate. I didn't appreciate being in the arena from 6 am to 9pm the last few years. It was nice to be able to get the wrestlers out of the building for a while to be able to decompress, if only for a short time.

The one thing I would change about how it is run is that I would move the first round consolation matches to the first day.  I think it would be beneficial for all of the wrestlers to have one less match day 2 especially those kids that lost in the first round and wrestled all the way back for 3/4 or 5/6.

What I was most disappointed with as a coach was some of the things I heard from the stands from fans. I think its really important that adults remember these are children on the mat 18 years old to as young as 12. I heard some pretty distasteful remarks. Another thing that I really am frustrated with every year is when fans "boo" wrestlers. No reason for grown adults to be booing a high school/middle school athlete. They are still children. I read several posts about people being disappointed with the sportsmanship of some of the athletes. The athletes are competing in their version of the super bowl, and emotions run high. I would like for that not to turn into head gear throws or harsh words or anything unsportsmanlike, but they are kids and still have a lot of growing up to do. I have a hard time giving that same grace to some of the adults in the stands.

Bigtown, Jrocket and 12 other users have reacted to this post.
BigtownJrocketFat125mjax26ddstukelduanedgrannyTJBrock BeslerFishhookKCG97Rus KantagerDavidCoach Lettau

ND used to be a 3 day tournament...with duals and individuals blended together.

Here is the way it USED to be:  https://ndwrestle.com/2019/02/04/2019-ndhsaa-state-tournament-schedule/

It is still a 3-day tournament, but....2 years ago...they started doing it this way....

Day 1 and Day 2 = Individual only

Day 3 = Duals only

I think this is sooo much better for a few obvious reasons.  One being if your team didn't make the duals, you only wrestled 2 days instead of 3.

Here is the way it is now: (scroll to page 5): https://d2q0tptsfejku7.cloudfront.net/uploads/files/2023-24_Sports_And_Activities/Sports/wrestling/2024_Wrestling-StateTournament_InfoLetter.pdf

One thing I liked about the finals was how it worked out so that the boys A and B finals ran at the same weights. I like the normal format of bottom to top anyways and it was nice to see the same weights going at the same time.

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar