Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Time to change South Dakota High School State Wrestling

Wrestling Regions have become a joke in South Dakota  - Class A Regions are very bad 8-team tournaments; Class B Regions are very poor quality 16 team tournament with only  4 Region weight classes having 12 or more wrestlers (126 & 132 in 4B; 157 & 175 in 1B).

Probably the best solution is to eliminate the two Classes and go back to one Class with 4 Regions - quality wrestling would be back and winning State would really mean something!

Another solution if the goal is to keep two Classes in the State is too simple eliminate Regions.  This would require 32 Man brackets which would make for a quality State Tournament for both Classes!

If keeping the two Classes and keeping Regions is the objective than easiest solution is allow high schools to enter JV wrestlers as unattached wrestlers - many of these unattached wrestlers would qualify for State if they wrestled at another school.

Let's put quality back into the State Wrestling Championships

MadInvite, interesting and 19 other users have reacted to this post.
MadInviteinterestingGene Calmusratlk5Danny HutchesonJbamalamson719Mr.BTravisArmbarClass B Rating Boardcdyllakrazy32HulkMatt MowerSprawlerthehardwayTakedown247365Jacks39Dean MuellerOld Cat
Quote from William Perry on February 16, 2024, 4:08 pm

Wrestling Regions have become a joke in South Dakota  - Class A Regions are very bad 8-team tournaments; Class B Regions are very poor quality 16 team tournament with only  4 Region weight classes having 12 or more wrestlers (126 & 132 in 4B; 157 & 175 in 1B).

Probably the best solution is to eliminate the two Classes and go back to one Class with 4 Regions - quality wrestling would be back and winning State would really mean something!

Another solution if the goal is to keep two Classes in the State is too simple eliminate Regions.  This would require 32 Man brackets which would make for a quality State Tournament for both Classes!

If keeping the two Classes and keeping Regions is the objective than easiest solution is allow high schools to enter JV wrestlers as unattached wrestlers - many of these unattached wrestlers would qualify for State if they wrestled at another school.

They can't even get the state seeding right now, how the ##$%# are they gonna get the 16 mam right? These brackets are horse#$%@.

interesting has reacted to this post.
interesting
Quote from William Perry on February 16, 2024, 4:08 pm

I disagree. I saw several kids get 5th at regions who could have potentially placed at state on any given weekend. On top of that, States like Wyoming and Utah have 1A 2A 3A 4A 5A with 8 placers and a champion at each weight at each class. We only have the 2, making it already arguably harder than several other states to place and/or win.

mjax26, 3pointnearfall and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
mjax263pointnearfallinterestingJbamabdole939Class B Rating Board

I believe I count 17 wrestlers with losing records in the class B state tournament. To be more fair to the wrestlers and strenghten the state tournament I have a simple solution. Instead of taking the top four from each region, only take the top 3. Then seed the remaining 12 wrestlers from places 4th through 6th in the 4 regions to get the last four tournament entries. Almost all of the wrestlers with losing records were 4th place finishers. Also this would give deserving wrestlers that get 5th or 6th at regions (some regions have multiple 5th place finishers that could place at state) a chance at state that they have earned. All of the regions are not equally strong. This method would give all regions and wrestlers a more fair and stronger state tourney.

pick6, Fishhook and farmerboy have reacted to this post.
pick6Fishhookfarmerboy

I love the idea of series state tournaments.  Combine A and B and add districts.

Does team placement at state affect some sort of funding or how a school board or whoever decides what money goes where for sports? (trying to understand why keeping the system the way it is, IS NEEDED?)

Takedown247365 has reacted to this post.
Takedown247365

I say go to 1 class. Add districts. 32 man brackets at state with 24 kids in them top 8 have a 1st round bye like Iowa.

Takedown247365 has reacted to this post.
Takedown247365

We just need more kids to stick with it.   Elementary programs have a ton of kids then they disappear.

Class B Rating Board has reacted to this post.
Class B Rating Board

Last Sunday I was browsing through the Regions on Track and the numbers are sad.   Gone are the days of 8 full districts.   My old districts in the 80's had to have a pigtail round on Friday night or there was a chance someone may have more than the legal 5 matches on Saturday.   I was amazed they didn't need 2 days to run the Regionals.  When you look at the team scores and see all these teams, then look at the brackets and even in the middle weights some are just 8-man brackets.   It's just sad.   I see Potter County didn't win a match yesterday.   I remember when both Gettysburg and Hoven had full teams.   In my neck of the woods, Selby, McIntosh, and even Eureka had a team in the early 80's.

Not sure what the answer is.   We may have painted ourselves in a corner with how we've developed kids and schedules.  (That's a big discussion in itself) Declining enrollments in rural areas are a problem we can't fix and just have to deal with.    IMO we need to focus our attention on kids programs as FEEDER programs.   WAY to much emphasis is placed on winning at that age.   I say NO PARENTS OR COACHES MATSIDE at Elementary tournaments!!   Remember the kids state tournaments in Mitchell?   At the Corn Palace parents and coaches stayed in the stands and if they came down on the mats were ejected immediately!  We need to go back to this.   Try separating the Jr High and Varsity whenever possible!   Quit having ALL DAY tournaments and try to get back to more FAN FRIENDLY duals.

interesting, Sprawler and farmerboy have reacted to this post.
interestingSprawlerfarmerboy
Quote from Armbar on February 21, 2024, 11:23 pm

We just need more kids to stick with it.   Elementary programs have a ton of kids then they disappear.

A lot of this has to do with the transition into middle school. If you aren’t good enough to make the varsity team a lot of kids get lost in the wash. There needs to be completely separate programs for middle school kids who aren’t in the varsity room. We also need to go to a qualifying series for the middle school state tournament. Lots of kids that wanted to participate but couldn’t because registration was full.

Jrocket, interesting and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketinterestingTravisArmbar

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar