Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Who's #1? Could we do this?

Bill Holtan suggested to me a week ago that we should put together an event.  A HUGE event or a Card.  If you watched what Flowrestling, Spartan Combat, and RTC events have done over the past year, you would realize they opened up the possibilities of setting up a Card...  I am willing to take suggestions..  Highest ranked ND wrestler vs Highest ranked SD wrestler in 10+ weight classes... It could be a mix of boys and girls...  Special singlets... Live Streamed... Sponsors... College recruits... so much more...

Minnesota already does this just within their own state...  MN#1 which was August 28th.  I did watch and it was quite entertaining...  Could we do this?  Smoke, Lights, cameras, etc.

Minnesota took advantage of their situation, with another Minnesota high school wrestling season full of uncertainty on the horizon, (not as uncertain in ND and SD) it’s good to celebrate the glimpses of normalcy that pop up. Looking around the country, main state associations have already moved their wrestling seasons or still may cancel them altogether. The void left by those changes to the schedule has allowed for other events to pop up on the wrestling calendar. One of those is Minnesota’s #1, which takes place on Saturday August 28th.

Minnesota’s #1 was a 17-match dual meet that pitted some of the state’s top high schoolers against each other. Organized by the Al and Josh Show podcast, the event featured a handful of intriguing bouts between wrestlers with excellent in-state and national-level credentials. The podcast had a Twitter poll allowing fans to choose the main event, with four choices being provided, all of which were high-quality. Backgrounds of all wrestlers were gathered and provided to fans.

Maybe we are a year or two away?  Could we plan an event like this?

Jrocket, Skeeter and 9 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketSkeeterCoachGannonminndakotaFat125mjax26interestingt123Weezer1Dedication52Zach carlson

It would be very fun to watch, however I am assuming that scheduling would be a nightmare.  Despite all the hurdles in their way, I really hope someone could set something like this up.

Dakota Grappler and Hawk96 have reacted to this post.
Dakota GrapplerHawk96

This is a fascinating idea and I would absolutely come to it. Or even making it all the #1's from ND A & B and 1#'s from SD A & B (4 teams total)  and ND A wrestles SD B and ND B wrestles SD A and so on - each team would have 3 total duals, coached by whomever was last years coach of the year in that state. Would be amazing to witness

Fat125 has reacted to this post.
Fat125

I do like this idea.  I know Iowa and Nebraska have something very similar at the end of the year.  What I have been pushing for years in Nebraska is an all class "state" at the end of the year.  I think it would work well in SD as well.  Take the top 8 from A and the top 8 from B and have a random draw that switches every year.  The #1 from A wrestles the #8 from B and so on.  I think this would bring in a lot of money whether it is done by the state or another entity.  It certainly would draw more interest than state duals imo.

That would be awesome. Get someone like Terry Pack involved. He's got the resources and connections to pull something like that off.

Noluck24, Convoy and kinzer_23 have reacted to this post.
Noluck24Convoykinzer_23
Quote from BUCK on December 9, 2021, 2:20 am

That would be awesome. Get someone like Terry Pack involved. He's got the resources and connections to pull something like that off.

Why would you get someone like Terry Pack?

I would go with someone like the Brandon Valley Coach he seems to have the best team in the state he must be doing something right.

3pointnearfall and TigerPride have reacted to this post.
3pointnearfallTigerPride

That coach inherited a bunch of great wrestlers from all around the state. He may be a good coach but what he's got going on this year and last year is merely the results of the Schunke's coming to town and a bunch of other LOG wrestlers following. But back to the subject. This operation doesn't require a great wrestling coach, it requires somebody with the knowledge, ambition, and resources to handle all the logistics of getting S. Dak vs N. Dak State Champs under the same roof to wrestling in a dual. Like or dislike TP; he's somebody who has put together a bunch of wrestling events. I hope that answers your question.

Jrocket, Viper and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
JrocketViper3pointnearfallTigerPrideHawk96lamson719

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar