Please or Register to create posts and topics.

State

Page 1 of 2Next

Just seen that the state is not allowing any times to practice Wednesday in Rapid City. I don't see why other sports are allowed to practice at the facility they are competing at the day before and and wrestling is not allowed to. They are also not making scales available to the wrestlers until Thursday morning.  Just curious on the SDHSAA rational on why wrestling is not allowed to practice or even check weight at the facility they are competing at.

3pointnearfall, TigerPride and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
3pointnearfallTigerPridecoach deanrebeldad

Shit show

Quote from pick6 on February 15, 2023, 4:21 pm

Just seen that the state is not allowing any times to practice Wednesday in Rapid City. I don't see why other sports are allowed to practice at the facility they are competing at the day before and and wrestling is not allowed to. They are also not making scales available to the wrestlers until Thursday morning.  Just curious on the SDHSAA rational on why wrestling is not allowed to practice or even check weight at the facility they are competing at.

I believe it has always been this way in Sioux Falls too.  They do not allow teams (other than Sioux Falls schools) to practice at the facility on Wednesday.

We’ve practiced at Sioux Falls before.

Last year the state was going to get charged an extra day of rent for the facility if they allowed teams to come into practice.  They were allowed to set up the day before without having to pay the extra rent.  Rent for the Denny is extremely expensive.  They also want to keep things consistent between the two locations, so that's essentially why there is no practice.

Do they want to keep it consistent amongst other sports, Volleyball and Basketball get "scheduled" practices in those facilities on Wednesdays? And I would assume that gets paid for or negotiated? Especially considering wrestling requires weight management.

When it's been in Sioux Falls, yes, some local teams have practiced there, but more teams are closer to Sioux Falls than Rapid and there are some other practice options in the area for teams coming from the west. It's not as easy coming east to west for those teams to find somewhere to practice if they desire. Some teams would probably prefer to leave later if they can pick their packets up later, so they can practice at home. The weather could also play a factor in leaving later or driving at night.

If this is part of the "experience" for the kids, then I don't think a young kid walking into a massive arena for the first time, the first day of the state tournament and wrestling a couple hours later is better than letting them in the day before, to get a feel for it, workout on the mats they will wrestle on, check their weight on the scales they will be using, and knowing where things are.

Joe Stevens, Fat125 and 12 other users have reacted to this post.
Joe StevensFat125TigerPrideinterestingcoach deanCradleSkippick6JBoehmerrebeldadClass B Rating BoardcoyotedieselDavid

Let the B boys tournament go back to Aberdeen. SDHSAA can mail the awards and brackets to Aberdeen and then feel free to attend the girls tournament and the A boys tournament wherever that may be.

Fat125, Samdog77 and 14 other users have reacted to this post.
Fat125Samdog77interestingjobro04lharrisKCG97Joe Stevensdieselac3217duaneJacks39ReasaTravisArmbarAll Knowing 2.0Jeff Gunn

Totally agree, lets go back to the old ways of state A and B in separate locations.

Fat125, Samdog77 and 14 other users have reacted to this post.
Fat125Samdog77jobro04lharrisKCG97East River WrastleJoe Stevensac3217duaneReasaTravisArmbarconcretekingAll Knowing 2.0Jeff Gunnbobgard

For coaches it may be better seperate, but for the fans combined is best.

HasBeen, duane and 10 other users have reacted to this post.
HasBeenduaneReasaTravisArmbarViperFat125ddstukelinterestingClearlylharris3moves

I agree with Stockton. State B tournament in Aberdeen rocked and the community of Aberdeen welcomed the wrestling folks with open arms.

KCG97, Joe Stevens and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
KCG97Joe StevensnobodyduaneJoshua CaspersonReasaArmbarJeff Gunn

State should be the culmination of all the wrestling the state has to offer, not just 1/3. Better for spectators, recruiters, and those, like myself, that don’t get to watch much wrestling from the other class. I do agree not getting to be in the arena day before is very lame, but work with what you can control.

duane, Viper and 9 other users have reacted to this post.
duaneViperddstukelinterestingUnbeatableClearlyJbamaKathy LembckeEast River WrastleAll Knowing 2.0diesel

If you are a fan of a school or even class A or B you don't really get to see much of the other class wrestle in the combined tournament. The large stadiums have taken away much of the excitement of the state tournament, especially the dual tournament. On Saturday there will probably be a very small crowd as most won't stay unless they have a team involved. I thought the original four dual tournaments were some of the most exciting wrestling I've watched in 50 years but now the crowd is so spread out there is little interaction. Let's go back to separate tournaments, have them on different weekends then you actually could watch the majority of wrestlers in each class. I know almost everyone hates Watertowns gym but if you were there you will remember that the atmosphere for the duals was incredible. I guess I'm done spouting off. Lets have a great State Tournament.

jobro04, Skeeter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
jobro04SkeeterconcretekingAll Knowing 2.0

By mixing in the dual tournament with the individual tournament, like what was done 3 years ago also solves the problem of small crowds.  I agree that it is better to have all classes in 1 venue.  Easier for fans, easier to get refs to 1 location, easier for college coaches to watch, easier to televise finals.  Keep it combined, but we do need a few tweaks.

Reasa, concreteking and Viper have reacted to this post.
ReasaconcretekingViper

I'm guessing here, but the costs of either Rapid or Sioux Falls needs both tournaments in order to support itself. Why not see if SDSU could host the duals event at the SJAC, at least it would be somewhat nearer, a little smaller than most venues but larger than the rest, and cost would hopefully be non-prohibitive, if that's the issue

Otherwise separating the classes out is a turrible idea. Personally, if I was a kid, or a high schooler fan wanting to go watch, and you told me the tournament is anywhere other than sioux falls or Rapid, I'd be pretty uninterested. It's about the student experience as well.

interesting and Joe Stevens have reacted to this post.
interestingJoe Stevens

Something else to consider is this: Many of these kids have wrestled each other in some form or fashion since elementary school. I remember a few years ago in Rapid there was an upset match in the A tournament, and I remember distinctly that friends of the winning boy from the B tournament rushed over to see him and congratulate him on the win. I heard them all talking in the hallway just outside the A arena full of energy and excitement for their friend.  It was great to overhear. That would be lost if we split it back up, Plus a lot of B and A parents and families are friends too and staying in the same town and having dinner together or something similar is nice. I'm sure we can make improvements but I don't want to see it split again

interesting, Clearly and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingClearlyJbamalharrisKCG97East River WrastleJoe Stevensdiesel

Are teams going to be arriving Tuesday now to avoid the storm?

Most teams will come in on Tuesday to avoid the storm.  The teams will be allowed to practice at the Monument from 3-7 on Wednesday due to the extenuating circumstances of the storm.

Josh Chapman and All Knowing 2.0 have reacted to this post.
Josh ChapmanAll Knowing 2.0
Quote from Stockton on February 16, 2023, 1:00 am

Let the B boys tournament go back to Aberdeen. SDHSAA can mail the awards and brackets to Aberdeen and then feel free to attend the girls tournament and the A boys tournament wherever that may be.

YUP Most B fans want it separated!!!  B's in Aberdeen and A's can do whatever

jobro04, KCG97 and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
jobro04KCG97Joe StevensReasa
Quote from East River Wrastle on February 16, 2023, 10:33 am

For coaches it may be better seperate, but for the fans combined is best.

Most B fans I know only watch the B's and it's harder for them to watch with 8 mats vs 4.   B's in Aberdeen was the best option for FANS.  Many could just drive there with a 2 hr drive and go home, avoiding motel rooms.

interesting, KCG97 and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingKCG97Joe StevensReasa
Quote from Armbar on February 20, 2023, 9:14 am
Quote from Stockton on February 16, 2023, 1:00 am

YUP Most B fans want it separated!!!  B's in Aberdeen and A's can do whatever

Why not just go to a one class system like AAU then bring back districts regions and state.

Region 1 A's and Region 1 B's combined

Region 2 A's and Region 2 B's combined

Region 3 A's and Region 3 B's combined

Region 4 A's and Region 4 B's combined

Then you don't have to worry about watching A's or B's just watch who is the true state champion.

Reasa, Class B Rating Board and 12 other users have reacted to this post.
ReasaClass B Rating BoardMuskieSDGopherDRQEdumacatorAndreHuskers1wSkipJoshua CaspersonKathy LembckeAll Knowing 2.0dieselAaronHeard@theMovies
Page 1 of 2Next

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar