Please or Register to create posts and topics.

State

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I like how Iowa does it.

Iowa does the classes each in their own session (1A is Morning Session, 2A is afternoon, 3A is dinner ish time) until placing round.  Then they do placing rounds 3rd-5th with all classes together Saturday morning, and Championships for all classes Saturday evening.  That way fans get to see the placing matches from all classes, and you can pick and choose to see all of the other class sessions or just your respective class.

Iowa also put 24 in the bracket this year and it was a 4 day tournament as they do their duals a couple weeks prior. We are limiting practicing in the facility the day prior to state in normal years in SF, because of cost.

Regarding a 1 class system for wrestling coming from a 7 class system for football in our state. Wyoming has fewer wrestlers I believe than SD and they have 3 classes.  A year or so ago, there was discussion to add another class to Track from a AA school to have 4 classes B, A, AA, and AAA. It did not move forward, but it came up. Most schools are arguing going the other way. I am not arguing either way, just seems against the trend.

interesting and rebeldad have reacted to this post.
interestingrebeldad
Quote from Convoy on February 20, 2023, 9:51 am
Quote from Armbar on February 20, 2023, 9:14 am
Quote from Stockton on February 16, 2023, 1:00 am

Let the B boys tournament go back to Aberdeen. SDHSAA can mail the awards and brackets to Aberdeen and then feel free to attend the girls tournament and the A boys tournament wherever that may be.

YUP Most B fans want it separated!!!  B's in Aberdeen and A's can do whatever

Why not just go to a one class system like AAU then bring back districts regions and state.

Region 1 A's and Region 1 B's combined

Region 2 A's and Region 2 B's combined

Region 3 A's and Region 3 B's combined

Region 4 A's and Region 4 B's combined

Then you don't have to worry about watching A's or B's just watch who is the true state champion.

I like that!

How in the world did everyone pack into the Corn Palace back in the day?

interesting and Sneakypete have reacted to this post.
interestingSneakypete

Has anyone received any info regarding Wednesday evening practice times and packet pick up?

Quote from chalk on February 20, 2023, 10:33 am

Iowa also put 24 in the bracket this year and it was a 4 day tournament as they do their duals a couple weeks prior. We are limiting practicing in the facility the day prior to state in normal years in SF, because of cost.

Regarding a 1 class system for wrestling coming from a 7 class system for football in our state. Wyoming has fewer wrestlers I believe than SD and they have 3 classes.  A year or so ago, there was discussion to add another class to Track from a AA school to have 4 classes B, A, AA, and AAA. It did not move forward, but it came up. Most schools are arguing going the other way. I am not arguing either way, just seems against the trend.

Yes they are leaders in the sport and understand the audience and the participants pretty well. It’s a great fan and wrestler experience.   It’s a true spectacle, their announcers also practice/research  the kids names in advance.

We could improve on that as I am mortified every time the announcers butcher what most of us think of as pretty commonly understood names.

If it’s a money thing, let’s put a number on it set a goal to fundraise and make it happen.  I personally know tons of sponsors who will pony up to support the sport.

mjax26, 3pointnearfall and All Knowing 2.0 have reacted to this post.
mjax263pointnearfallAll Knowing 2.0

I love the idea of showcasing a match in each division for state finals, but it drug the final round out an hour longer. 16 teams have to make weight and compete on Saturday for their schools. I get it’s pushed back on start time, but a 3 hour 45 minute round is outrages, even for crazy wrestling guys. Suggestions welcomed, maybe the state and SDWCA will take them and run with them. One simple answer is to eliminate TV time outs. Another idea is run 12 mats…can be done in Rapid I believe, and shorten up the medal round. Run girls and both classes of boys at same time!!!!. With the fast growth of girls/women wrestling we need to think ahead 3 years. The girls/women’s May very well need to be split like the boys/men into 2 divisions, or 1 class for both and expand to 24 qualifiers. Either way change is coming.

on a different note: there are a lot of inconsistencies at the tournament that can and do affect the wrestlers. Having a gate open on both sides from the bull pen on day 1 but not day 2 is just one. Another issue is seating for the athletes, coaches, managers and extras. Allow them to stand next to the bleachers on the event floor and let them police themselves. Put the guard rails up so spectators can still see, but let the rest be what it is. Coaches and athletes will police themselves.

lastly a coaches hospitality room and day before practice at facility needs to happen. It happens in BBall why not wrestling. The SDHSAA is looking for a lawsuit that could be easily won because of unfair play compared to other sports…imo.

It’s easy to find fault and complain, as I just did, but I will also say, overall great run tournament and great atmosphere as well as great competition.

Fat125 has reacted to this post.
Fat125

Why would anyone want one class for wrestling?  We (SDHSAA) has expanded classes for football and basketball to get more trophy’s and have more games?
I do like combined tourney, you get to see your friends from all the schools.  I just wish it was always in Rapid.  That new building is awesome, and from the workers there to the whole community they appreciate us being there, we are treated so much better out there.  I’ll make the drive west every year, so much better out there

interesting, purecowboy22 and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
interestingpurecowboy22JonJoshua CaspersonWrestlerSasquatchSneakypete

I agree,  I thought Rapid was way better than the Denny.

interesting and Viper have reacted to this post.
interestingViper
Quote from Sneakypete on February 26, 2023, 11:10 pm

I agree,  I thought Rapid was way better than the Denny.

Respectfully disagree that it was better, that is pretty subjective.

It was a decent venue, worthy of holding the event for sure.

Gene Calmus has reacted to this post.
Gene Calmus
Quote from Jared on February 25, 2023, 2:36 am

I love the idea of showcasing a match in each division for state finals, but it drug the final round out an hour longer. 16 teams have to make weight and compete on Saturday for their schools. I get it’s pushed back on start time, but a 3 hour 45 minute round is outrages, even for crazy wrestling guys. Suggestions welcomed, maybe the state and SDWCA will take them and run with them. One simple answer is to eliminate TV time outs. Another idea is run 12 mats…can be done in Rapid I believe, and shorten up the medal round. Run girls and both classes of boys at same time!!!!. With the fast growth of girls/women wrestling we need to think ahead 3 years. The girls/women’s May very well need to be split like the boys/men into 2 divisions, or 1 class for both and expand to 24 qualifiers. Either way change is coming.

on a different note: there are a lot of inconsistencies at the tournament that can and do affect the wrestlers. Having a gate open on both sides from the bull pen on day 1 but not day 2 is just one. Another issue is seating for the athletes, coaches, managers and extras. Allow them to stand next to the bleachers on the event floor and let them police themselves. Put the guard rails up so spectators can still see, but let the rest be what it is. Coaches and athletes will police themselves.

lastly a coaches hospitality room and day before practice at facility needs to happen. It happens in BBall why not wrestling. The SDHSAA is looking for a lawsuit that could be easily won because of unfair play compared to other sports…imo.

It’s easy to find fault and complain, as I just did, but I will also say, overall great run tournament and great atmosphere as well as great competition.

Jared,  there was no other bullpen entrances than the two on the west side. It was announced over and over where the bullpen and exits from the bullpen were. I was manning the north end extra gate the first day, and repeatedly told coaches and athletes where they were supposed to go in, while letting them go in where I wasn't supposed to, and that got me removed from that position. So on Friday I had to be the bad guy, walking up and down reminding coaches and athletes when they were allowed to go to their mat, and to get together to let the people running the tournament know how they would like it ran.

It's a not super fun job telling coaches and athletes to go back to the bullpens, especially when I believe the on deck wrestler should be out behind his mat, but I was told to do the job, so I did. The coaches and wrestlers that were on the floor during the finals, from what I heard will not be allowed again either, SDHSAA was not happy with that as well, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

All in all I hope you thought we did ok, no hospitality room for the coaches wasn't awesome. Us having 12 mats out on the floor would take away the already limited seating for athletes and coaches, removed the head table, and the warmup mats. 10 mats might work. I truly appreciate all the coaches and athletes I had the pleasure of talking with this weekend.

Definitely not a knock and you guys having to enforce dumb rules. I thought the atmosphere during finals was awesome. The SDHSAA cares more about the bottom dollar and PBS than they do the athletes. That is a shame! They have jobs because of these athletes. No one had a bad view when the kids and coaches were on the floor. Also much appreciated that you let coaches and athletes through that gate. Too bad they fired you for doing the right thing by the athletes.

On deck should be allowed Mat side. That’s why it’s called on deck same as baseball. Too bad the SDHSAA treats wrestling like it’s inferior to all other sports.

NO COACHES ROOM!!!  Are you Fn kidding me.?!!   Come on SDHSAA that's a bunch of BS!

Quote from Armbar on February 27, 2023, 11:37 am

NO COACHES ROOM!!!  Are you Fn kidding me.?!!   Come on SDHSAA that's a bunch of BS!

I think the SDHSAA realized how much money they saved by not having a hospitality room to feed coaches during COVID.  That was one thing that never came back, when things were brought back to normal.  I would love to know if there is a hospitality room for coaches during other state events.

Why are you guys randomly blaming the SDHSAA when the current director of the SDHSAA is a huge supporter of wrestling? Get a grip, folks. Swartos has done more for wrestling in his run as a director than anyone else ever did. Questioning his commitment to the athletes is gross.

amk_63, 3pointnearfall and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
amk_633pointnearfallFishhookHeard@theMovies

Parade Of Champions

I know there is a lot going on at the State Tournament with the combined classes, state duals and girls wrestling but I feel like some things are being taken away from the kids that are there. Making the state tournament is a huge deal to a lot of these kids and making the podium is even greater. I know there is only so much time with everything going on but taking away the Parade of Champions at the State Tournament is not good  for anyone. I hope to see this brought back next year because I feel like these kids deserve the recognition for their hard work and this huge accomplishment.

jobro04 has reacted to this post.
jobro04
PreviousPage 2 of 2

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar