Now, I want a simple approach when interviewing a coach. My plan is to interview coaches at wrestling tournament and put out “reels” of these interviews. One problem, I want to keep them to 3 minutes so I need to simplify my process and get to things wrestling fans want to hear.
This is my long format questions I came up with years ago, feel free to critique it. I have always wanted to interview people with some format and structure but yet have the freedom to explore ideas that come to mind as we talk. If you have watched them www.youtube.com/dakotagrappler you would realize the format is not followed very close.
Here it is:
- Introduction Questions:
- Can you please introduce yourself and your background in wrestling?
- How long have you been coaching wrestling, and what inspired you to become a coach?
- Team and Training Questions:
- What does a typical training session for your wrestling team look like?
- How do you motivate your athletes to give their best in training and competitions?
- What kind of drills and techniques do you focus on during practice sessions?
- Coaching Philosophy:
- What is your coaching philosophy when it comes to developing young wrestlers both athletically and personally?
- How do you handle setbacks and losses, and what do you teach your athletes about resilience and sportsmanship?
- Preparation and Strategy:
- How do you prepare your team mentally and physically for important matches?
- Can you share some insights into the strategic aspects of wrestling and how you develop game plans for different opponents?
- Athlete Development:
- How do you identify and nurture talent among your wrestlers?
- What kind of support and resources do you provide to help your athletes improve their skills and reach their full potential?
- Team Dynamics and Leadership:
- How do you foster a sense of camaraderie and teamwork within your wrestling team?
- What qualities do you look for in team captains and leaders, and how do you groom them for their roles?
- Parent and Coach Relationship:
- How do you maintain a positive and open line of communication with parents of your athletes?
- In your experience, what role do parents play in the success of young wrestlers, and how can they support their children effectively?
- Future Goals:
- What are your short-term and long-term goals for the wrestling program and your athletes?
- How do you envision the future of wrestling, and what changes do you think are necessary to promote the sport further?
I have told myself to remember to tailor these questions based on the coach’s specific background and the context of the interview.
Am I missing anything? I am always wanting history so if I forget my outline I always go to history.